What's new
What's new

Irregular 7" dia. Cast Iron work holding questions

IMS2016

Plastic
I'm working on a project to automate a couple of OPs on a 7" dia cast iron part. I'll give our current config, and issues and then propose my questions so bare with me. Also the part has a step on both sides with a taper to the middle and a boss in the middle of both sides. Thanks in advance for your help.
OP 10 - QC inspection
OP 20 - Prep of "Side A" (Regular 3 finger jaws with manual clamping is used) (This is done on a GT-20, we run about 500 parts in a few shifts and then we are done for a month with this op)
OP 30 - Side A is loaded towards the spindle and some roughing is done. The part is flipped about 3 times. (Custom pie jaws are used currently with hydraulic clamping) (This is done on an old SC-300) About 30 per day are run
OP 40 - Loaded into a VMC dual station fixture, to mill some through holes and drill center boss. (This is done on an old Matsuura 800v)
OP 50 - Finish turning of "Side A" called off from center boss. (This is done on a SL-30)
OP 60 - Finish turning of "Side B" called off from center boss. (This is done on a SL-30) (3 Tools are different than OP 50, the SL doesn't have the tool capacity)

I know there are about 1.5 million different ways to manufacture this part, but that is out of my control for now. I was tasked by the owner of the company to "Automate" this process. Right now I'm not able to buy a new machine with more tool capacity or with live tooling so until then I'm stuck with what we have. Right now my thinking is to add a robot to handle OP 30 but with the goal of combining OP 20 & 30. Then in the near future suggest a machine that will produce a complete part in 1 load.:scratchchin:
My question is; does anybody have any ideas or suggestions for work holding of irregular sized raw cast iron and then also a turned part.
I might be able to send some pictures through PM, but it will be very limited due to ITAR regulations and our customer's strict confidentiality requirements.
Thanks again.

I might be able to send some pictures through PM, but it will be very limited due to ITAR regulations and our customer's strict confidentiality requirements.
Thanks again.

An image of finished part & raw casting will help....

Looks like that's not gonna happen.....

If the OP is sending out pix to requestors, that is designing in my book, and should be paid for.

Helpful suggestions online are given freely.

Quote"Right now I'm not able to buy a new machine with more tool capacity or with live tooling so until then I'm stuck with what we have."
and seen this over and over
off load a sub contractor who does have more capability.
dual spindle, live tools, combine operations 40, 50 & 60
it will be more cost effective

Back