What's new
What's new

Iscar DR-Twist or Sandvik 880 drill?

SND

Diamond
Does anyone here have some experience with the Iscar DR-Twist insert drills and how they might compared with Sandvik's 880's?
I see iscar uses the same insert style inside and outside. Do you use the same grade like IC908 for each or buy 2 different grades like a 9080 that can take the higher SFM for the peripheral? How their insert life vs Sandvik's 1144-2044 grades?
So far I've had good success with the 15/16" 5xD 880 I have, it squeals like crazy but it runs all day going 4" and 4.5" deep in 316, duplex on one insert edge, parts I'm running now go 4" deep in 316 and I walk away from it and work on another machine and trust it, never had an insert quit in the cut yet. Is the DR-twist as reliable? I'm looking at around 2" size, maybe 2.25".
I'd like to give the Walter 4120's a try but can't find anyone around that sells their stuff anymore.

thanks

Sandvik 880's are tough to beat, we use them a lot. The only other drill I would buy to replace the 880 is the Magic Drill from Kyocera. These things are VERY good.
The DRZ and DRX styles are very quiet compared to most other indexable drills.
We get them from Carbide Depot, and iirc the price is better than most other brands.

I ended up getting the 2" 880. I got a good deal on it and it was at my door next day, cheaper than trying to bring anything from the US, and Iscar was 3+ weeks on one of the insert shape/grade, and near same price anyhow.
Did finally find a walter dealer around, but then realized their 2" drill has a 2" shank, so no go again.

The Sandvik 880 drills are tough to beat. Very, very good performing tool. I think I'd rank a Seco Perfomax higher, but not by a whole lot. The 880 is a great drill.

Unless the competitor's drill comes with tailored inboard/outboard inserts, there is no competition. They do have their place, but there is no competing with a tailored inboard/outboard insert drill in terms of performance or tool life. None. Not even close...

I guess I am going to be the poo-pooer in this case.
Having both, the 880 and the DR ( and a DR knockoff by Korloy ), I can honestly tell you that the Iscar is 4 x the better drill.
2x because it lasts twice as long, and another 2x because it has 4 edges instead of two.

This is .625 dia, 5x, drilling 347SST.
Annually make about 2500-3000 of these per year, and have been for 12+ years, so yes, I have drilled a few holes to know.

I guess I am going to be the poo-pooer in this case.
Having both, the 880 and the DR ( and a DR knockoff by Korloy ), I can honestly tell you that the Iscar is 4 x the better drill.
2x because it lasts twice as long, and another 2x because it has 4 edges instead of two.

This is .625 dia, 5x, drilling 347SST.
Annually make about 2500-3000 of these per year, and have been for 12+ years, so yes, I have drilled a few holes to know.

Only the smallest size 880's (12mm/1/2") have two edges. A 5/8" 880 is a four edge insert. You perhaps have an 881, which is an application drill not a general purpose one.

For large drills, the 880 is untouchable.

Only the smallest size 880's (12mm/1/2") have two edges. A 5/8" 880 is a four edge insert. You perhaps have an 881, which is an application drill not a general purpose one.

For large drills, the 880 is untouchable.

And you are correct, mine is a 3X A881.
Unfortunately, that is what the local distributor sent me when I've asked for a drill.

Nevertheless, it is not one iota better than the 4 edge Korloy, and lightyears behind the DR.
After 20 or so pieces the finish begins to suck, and only the sound and look of chips tell you when it's time for an insert change.
The DR is the energizer bunny for finish all the way to the end.

And you are correct, mine is a 3X A881.
Unfortunately, that is what the local distributor sent me when I've asked for a drill.

Nevertheless, it is not one iota better than the 4 edge Korloy, and lightyears behind the DR.
After 20 or so pieces the finish begins to suck, and only the sound and look of chips tell you when it's time for an insert change.
The DR is the energizer bunny for finish all the way to the end.

Ya, the 881's are not heavy duty drills, they are specifically for low cutting force on unstable workholding.

Back