What's new
What's new

Issues with making parts for firearms

jdholbrook33

Plastic
About 5 years ago I invented a tool and technique that allowed the end user to speed up their computer.
It took off and we were selling as fast as we could make them for almost 3 years.
Over the past two years, sales have slowed. A couple of reasons.
1. It's a technical product that requires some risky operations, risky for the average person who is not real sure which end of a screwdriver to use.
2. I have not advertised at all.
3. Covid??
4. China.. copied my product and sells it for 25% less. (Identical copy at that)

Anyway, I have two mills and a couple of guys that can run them very well as well as a bunch of supporting equipment.
We could manufacture other things if we desired.
I dabble with guns in my spare time and I've noticed that every time I go to buy something it's out of stock.
From the lowly flash hider to complete guns and everything in between.

What are the quick pros and cons of making gun parts??

Thank you,

James

About 5 years ago I invented a tool and technique that allowed the end user to speed up their computer.
It took off and we were selling as fast as we could make them for almost 3 years.
Over the past two years, sales have slowed. A couple of reasons.
1. It's a technical product that requires some risky operations, risky for the average person who is not real sure which end of a screwdriver to use.
2. I have not advertised at all.
3. Covid??
4. China.. copied my product and sells it for 25% less. (Identical copy at that)

Anyway, I have two mills and a couple of guys that can run them very well as well as a bunch of supporting equipment.
We could manufacture other things if we desired.
I dabble with guns in my spare time and I've noticed that every time I go to buy something it's out of stock.
From the lowly flash hider to complete guns and everything in between.

What are the quick pros and cons of making gun parts??

Thank you,

James

You'll need an ATF Manufacturer's license and, most likely, a manufacturer's license from your home state. Depending on how "urbane" your locality is, your local and county governments may have attitudes that vary from encouraging to treating you worse than the local child molester. If you're making receivers, lowers, sears, or other regulated parts, thorough book and record keeping is required along with plant security.

Don't forget insurance.

If you get a lawyer that works in that area you will find the ATF has very little to no jurisdiction over anyone making parts. For the most part it is only registered receivers that require an FFL. I say registered because an AR upper receiver is not a serialized part. Or at least that was how it was in the past. Thats another problem, they change things all the time and pretty much answer to no one.

The problem is there isn't much money in it and most customers want tight tolerances on a tight budget.

Being a big gun guy I avoid the gun industry like the plague. There are too many opportunities for honest mistakes to land you in jail for a long time over small money.

Oh don't forget ITAR, the whole thing is a shit show!

Yup. Consider Polymer 80, the company that was selling uncompleted lowers and parts kits for you to finish it yourself. 100% legal, until the ATF changed their mind. Now they're going to have to spend who knows how much in court even if they're found to be in the right.

Need to invent and manufacture a cutting edge must-have gizmo for all these electric vehicles that are going to save the planet. [emoji1][emoji383]

The gun market is a siren song for machinists. As a group average, we have a high affinity for guns, high creative thinking skills, and the resources to make these kinds of parts. The problem is that there are a LOT of machinists in the US, and the market is straight-up chocked full of competitors at this point. There were a few years, as the internet (and internet gun communities) expanded where we were in a "If You Build It, They Will Come" heyday. A dude could knock out some cool parts on his mill, post them to ARFCOM and be in business.

A few of those people who are now absurdly successful even have post histories on here from back in the day.

Those days are kinda gone though; and the market is saturated with a cottage industry of guys making nice little doodads and knickknacks to slap on your Barbie for Men AR. It is absolutely possible to innovate in the gun market, but you need a real-deal marketing strategy. Great product videos, a solid website, and (probably most importantly) you need to work with fucking influencers to get in front of a buying audience. The successful entrants over the last few years? Have all had very savvy media chops.

Which brings me back to your current product - Sounds like you struck a pretty good home run a while back with a product that was If You Build It, They Will Come (IYBITWC). You've proven product/market fit, you've set up production, you were making solid bank... but now you've run out of steam on what sounds like an initially really great hit.

I give free advice, so it is worth exactly what it costs, but I would meditate a bit on expanding/improving on what you already have instead of trying to enter a whole new and competitive market. Tweak the product to make it more valuable (cynically: appear more valuable) than the 25% priced Chinese version. Learn how to shoot and edit video, and show off the product. Try to work with big media outlets (Linus Tech Tips) on a sponsorship/affiliate deal.

Even if that doesn't work out, a focus on the marketing/promotion side of the business is probably the most valuable skill set you can acquire (even more than machining skills).

Back