What's new
What's new

Issues milling SS 304 on Haas

teachme

Aluminum
We're milling a simple block with bore holes and 1/4 taps.

Flood coolant is on for all operations. All tools were made for SS.

2 operations went mostly well. 1/4" drill, no noise, no problems. We tapped those holes (250 rpm), perfectly threaded, expect for the 3rd one (bolt gets jammed).

Other issues we had:
5F 3" facemill (carbide inserts), cutting 0.5 mm. It squealed through the entire operation, and right before the end it burned part of the surface.

2.jpg

Using a 2F 1/2" carbide drill, it chipped both flute edges after 2 drills.

3.jpg

Not the best idea using 4F 1/2" end mill for bore holes, but it squealed through the entire helix. At a 2° ramp angle.

Does that say 1326m/min for the facemill? That's over 4000sfm! No wonder you're burning inserts out

2 operations went mostly well. 1/4" drill, no noise, no problems. We tapped those holes (250 rpm), perfectly threaded, expect for the 3rd one (bolt gets jammed).

Other issues we had:
5F 3" facemill (carbide inserts), cutting 0.5 mm. It squealed through the entire operation, and right before the end it burned part of the surface.

View attachment 291922

View attachment 291923

Not the best idea using 4F 1/2" end mill for bore holes, but it squealed through the entire helix. At a 2° ramp angle.

Why is it all running at 5500RPMS ! you are about 5X the SFM for stainless
and the face mill you need to slow down from 5500!
id bet you are heating the hell out of that part even with coolant, and killing the tool. Thats why the 3rd hole was probably undersized.

Back to basics 101.

BTW where are you in Ontario?

Other issues we had:

View attachment 291922

View attachment 291923

Kinda hard to read your pictures

Attachments

• squint.jpg
    squint.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 54
This has to be a Troll. 3.14*3*5500/12=4317 SFM!!

Nobody actually thinks that's going to work in 304----do they?

R

I would recommend that you buy and download hsm wizard

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

are you saying that hsm wizard is necessary to be able to read what is written in the application sheet for the inserts, or right on the box even? :D

are you saying that hsm wizard is necessary to be able to read what is written in the application sheet for the inserts, or right on the box even? :D

Not sure about you, but last time I looked up any manufactures specs they were so broad it was a moot point > SFM 300-1200, IPT .003-.01" :toetap:

I'm saying that of you aren't able to calculate them with that info then download the software.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Not sure about you, but last time I looked up any manufactures specs they were so broad it was a moot point > SFM 300-1200, IPT .003-.01" :toetap:

so if you're feeling confident and want to use the high number for the material you haven't had experience with, it will still come out to be 1500rpm for 3" cutter, not 5500 as it seems to be from the picture in the first post...

You're feeds and speeds are all sorts of fucked. I'll throw out some starting feeds and speeds to get you in the right direction. Adjust from there.

3" facemill= 350SFM & .005ipt

1/2"em(no idea what you're doing with it.)= 250sfm & .0025ipt

This will at least get you cutting with out wrecking everything.

Probably John Welden come back to life.......he'll jump on us in a minute. :D

You'll know if it were John. For one thing he wouldn't waste his time changing his username. John isn't a Troll, he's just honest. John, TMP, and carbide bob are my only friends here on PM.

R

Back