What's new
What's new

Haas UMC 500 vs. UMC 500 SS

darbikrash

Plastic
We are considering adding our first 5 axis CNC mill, which is intended to support prototyping and some mold cavity production. We have been looking at most of the big names, but we do not have a solid business case for an expensive machine so we are looking at some lower cost options.

So in considering a Haas UMC 500, is it worth the extra the ~ $21k upgrade to the UMC 500 SS? I think we would need the 15k spindle, and maybe the HSK63 upgrade, not sure if this is worth it or necessary either.

To make the Haas work I would think we would need to keep the price below $150k, this means no UMS 500 SS and no HSK spindle. As we go over this dollar value, other machines begin to make more sense, like the Okuma 460V-5AX. The Okuma is more expensive than the Haas, but the higher the Haas cost, the more attractive the Okuma is which looks to be a substantially better machine and likely better suited to out needs.

I’m also not sure the Haas will machine P20 mold steel with adequate surface finish without expensive manual polishing. P20 hardness is about 30 Rc give or take.

The argument for the Haas is that it allows us to get our feet wet in a new 5 axis machine, if the business case turns out to be weak, we can sell it after a year or two and not lose too much due to strong resale value. Also, local support and online training might make this transition to 5 axis a bit easier. So in other words, technical issues aside, the Haas may be a better entry point to 5 axis milling.

But if it won’t do the job, or if it costs $175k to configure it properly, then might as well step up to a more capable machine and bypass this step entirely.

Suggestions?

Back