What's new
What's new

Jaw lift with 2" tall cravesmart

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
Hey everyone, I typically run taller jaws in my vises (Glacier) and never had a problem when milling soft jaws for op 2,3, etc. I switch to a orange and I'm getting varying z height difference. As much as 0.010 in some cases. The part is just a 2x4" square, and the soft jaws just have a .25 deep x 0.50 wide step cut in to the jaw. Since the clamping action is above the actual Jaw, I'm aware you can get some deflection because of this. What puzzling is I've never really experienced this with other vise (Kurt and Glacier) maybe it is because they have half moon under the moveable jaw. I'm not sure. The set screw in the moveable jaw, I've adjusted as describe (screw in until it stops and turn it out 1/8 of a turn). Orange has been great but I'm curious if anyone else has experience this.

The two reason I use taller jaws
1) keep 1 style of jaw in my small shop, if need be I can mill it down accordingly
2) Like to keep some distance from the vise, as a safety margin.

After communicating with @Djstorm100 in a few emails back and forth, looks like it's an interference issue.

The corners of the dovetail clamps on our master jaws are interfering with the inside radii of the dovetailed soft jaws and thus need larger chamfers. We're sending him new clamps with this fix, which we expect will resolve his issues. This fix is being applied to all clamps we make moving forward.

If anyone else is experiencing issues like this, please reach out to us. That's what our warranty is for.

After communicating with @Djstorm100 in a few emails back and forth, looks like it's an interference issue.

The corners of the dovetail clamps on our master jaws are interfering with the inside radii of the dovetailed soft jaws and thus need larger chamfers. We're sending him new clamps with this fix, which we expect will resolve his issues. This fix is being applied to all clamps we make moving forward.

If anyone else is experiencing issues like this, please reach out to us. That's what our warranty is for.

Can't express how helpful Chris and Eric have been in looking in to this. I sent a video to Eric today, he then asked about the dovetail clamps interfering. Confirmed it and got some clamps out to me. Thank you Eric and Chris!

Back