What's new
What's new

Jig Bore Manufacturers

Badbascom

Plastic
EDIT: Purpose of machine is primarily boring on aviation gearboxes.

I am looking for advice / feedback on current Jig Bore Manufacturers. I am casually looking but I want to be ready once we recover from Covid. So far I have talked with Mitsui Seiki and have heard nothing but good things about them. I am looking at their 5 axis with U-axis head. Besides them I see Yasda, SIP (Starreg), and possible Fives Giddings and Lewis.

From my current research
1. Mitsui Seiki appears to fit all my needs, well known brand but the U-axis is a Komet integrated by Mitsui.
2. Yasda website briefly explains how they achieve incredible tolerances which I appreciate and kindof lures me in as a potential customer.
3. SIP is well known, we have there older machines, their current marketing materials under Starreg are lacking but one thing I did notice is they have a three point stand system which is very attractive since my current HMC is still settling requiring periodic leveling.
4. Fives I like because of the integrated U-axis head, however the advertised accuracy / precision is far less the above machines.
5. A couple of years ago I was looking at DIXI via DMG but I cannot find anything current about them, are they still making machines?

While I want the best machine I also require good USA tech support.

Any other manufacturers or advice I should hear about? The marketing on all these machines is somewhat lacking so I am hoping some of you can educate me some more.

Yasda... I've heard very bad things about Mitsui Seiki after they take your money and problems arise...
I own a Yasda and have met the Yasda America president. They care a lot about their customers, their equipment, and their name.

Okay, I'm having a few senior moments here. Are you working on new gearboxes or rebuilding old ones? What is involved? Boring bad bearing bores and sleeving them?

Back