What's new
What's new

Job Shop Quoting/Charging

jephw

Aluminum
Good evening everyone.
I would like to hear some advice from you about charging for jobs.
We recently acquired a Mori Seiki Nl3000y for in-house lathe work and repairs. We are planning to do some custom work in between jobs. Nothing high production, just one-off jobs and such.
Because this is all new to us, we would like to explore different approaches to quoting and charging for jobs, I figured this is a nice place to ask some of you gentlemen and ladies who have been in the business a long time.
Thanks in advance.

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

Time to setup the part * shop rate = rate to setup part.

Time to machine the part * shop rate = rate to machine part.

Material * markup = marked up material cost.

(Rate to machine part * number of parts) + (rate to set up part / number of parts) + marked up material = price you should charge

If you use excel, I can email you a pretty good quote template.
Quoting is a bit of an art. I use my excel worksheet for everything I quote. But, sometimes for various reasons, I bent the numbers around.
It does give a good way to get all the variables in one spot, and do the math for you. The trick is knowing your shop, and its strengths weaknesses.
It is also an easily accessed reference for later when you are trying to remember why you agreed to do that job so cheap! :crazy:

Yes that would be great, I would appreciate that. I will private message you my email address.

(Rate to machine part * number of parts) + (rate to set up part / number of parts) + marked up material = price you should charge

I will also try this format and see what works for me. Thank you.

Best tip that I was given for quoting small jobs with just a few parts, was to think of the time in terms of days. Forget about minutes or even hrs for every single step of the process... Just ask yourself will it spoil half day? Full day? Couple days? Always allow little extra, not everything goes exactly as planned.

As you get bigger qtys your really need to know exactly what it takes to run a part. Consider programming it and getting runtime, or even making one to know for sure.

Always watch out for tight tolerances. Spread sheet templates are very helpful too. Good luck with it.

The price has more to do with what the market will pay, rather than just time/material.

BTW, I did not see any of the above formula take the final cost X 15-25% profit. (assuming low quantities)

I picked up EZ-Quote (for $50) off the net. It is a simple spreadsheet that helps account for everything. It will even provide the job travelers.

EZ-Quote!

Not schilling for them, nor do I have anything to do with the company. I am just a satisfied user of their product.
BTW, it is SUPER EASY!

Doug

Doug.

Back