What's new
What's new

jogging a haas

pcasanova

Hot Rolled
Running a Haas (TMP2 2017 model)for the first time, and when selecting the .1 mode and turning the wheel the axis continues to travel after the wheel has stopped, I'm sure its buffering the pulses. Is there a parameter that will stop the axis travel when the wheel stops?

No, .01 will jog at the same speed at full tilt and have less overrun when you stop. Don't use .1 it is famous for jogging the head into objects unintentionally. It is possible to disable .1 in the settings, I suggest you do so.

We had an SNK bed mill Fanuc control. Came from the manufacturer with X1 and X10 settings for handle feed. I got the techs to install the X100 setting.

Bad idea!

Cranking this thing to get it moving faster could be disastrous as the table would keep moving until all of those multiplied pulses were satisfied.

Same sort of problem the OP has just on an older machine.

We had an SNK bed mill Fanuc control. Came from the manufacturer with X1 and X10 settings for handle feed. I got the techs to install the X100 setting.

Bad idea!

Cranking this thing to get it moving faster could be disastrous as the table would keep moving until all of those multiplied pulses were satisfied.

Same sort of problem the OP has just on an older machine.

Some models of Fanuc have a parameter to disable buffering pulses from the MPG. For example setting 0 to parameter 1413 on a 15 series (~30 year old control) disables MPG buffering. Maybe the tech that set up the X100 for you did not know all he should have.....

No, .01 will jog at the same speed at full tilt and have less overrun when you stop. Don't use .1 it is famous for jogging the head into objects unintentionally. It is possible to disable .1 in the settings, I suggest you do so.

Seen it done...especially on the z axis...my first day as an operator came with the .1 warning, I never forgot it lol. Seen a few tools disintegrate :)

It's bad enough when you are gapping the tool pickup and you bring it down in .01 and fat finger or forget to hit .001 or .0001...I normally reverse the jog wheel before I go to touch off, didn't do it the other day and wouldn't ya know it...it was still in .01. fortunately it was a center drill so it just left a little mark that I later plugged and hand finished to match because I couldn't stand that I did it lol.

This ↑↑↑↑
I have to train my guys to NEVER use the 0.1 feed, UNLESS you are nowhere near the part.

Did I find a junior operator had T1 about 20° off X axis while in the toolholder, due to running the tool into the stock? Yes I did!
(run on sentence)

Did the part get scrapped due to mis-tagging G54 with now crashed tool? Yes it did.

Now, NO MORE using 0.1" REGARDLESS.
If I catch someone using 0.1"
First offense = written up
The 2nd time, the same written up, but they get to take 3 days of NON-PTO.
The 3rd time:angry:....
Oh heck, nobody will do that.:cheers:

Well, except for as91000 or whatever. HA!

Wow,
This sounds horrible. I had that on my hobby mill using mach 3. Great way to snap off Haimer probes. I never would have thought it could happen on an industrial grade control though. I jog like a mad man on the Brother, but never had such behavior.

Ah... people... they're called Jog and Rapid Modes. They come with little X-Y and Z buttons. No over running or anything. Save "Handle" for when you're close.

I see folks in videos spinning the hell out of they're hand-wheels. Makes me crazy. Even the part timer I have come in once in awhile started on that. Put the ixnay on it immediately. Learn to use the jog buttons.

Honestly I find the problem in this thread surprising. Wouldn't have even imagined it if I hadn't read it in a book somewhere.

Edit: On closer inspection I see that as always, a misplaced decimal point will mean something unwanted. Never having even touched a Haas, I breezed over the 0.1 per click problem being talked about and was thinking 0.01. Yes, 0.1 should not even be an option. Even a bumped handle could spell disaster. All the same, I'm still sticking with my jog buttons and dial spinners drive me crazy bit. :-)

Last edited:
Ah... people... they're called Jog and Rapid Modes. They come with little X-Y and Z buttons. No over running or anything. Save "Handle" for when you're close.

I see folks in videos spinning the hell out of they're hand-wheels. Makes me crazy. Even the part timer I have come in once in awhile started on that. Put the ixnay on it immediately. Learn to use the jog buttons.

Honestly I find the problem in this thread surprising. Wouldn't have even imagined it if I hadn't read it in a book somewhere.

Edit: On closer inspection I see that as always, a misplaced decimal point will mean something unwanted. Never having even touched a Haas, I breezed over the 0.1 per click problem being talked about and was thinking 0.01. Yes, 0.1 should not even be an option. Even a bumped handle could spell disaster. All the same, I'm still sticking with my jog buttons and dial spinners drive me crazy bit. :-)

And for those machines with no jog buttons? I'll stick with my handles. Which thankfully don't buffer pulses. Stop spinning, stop moving. Period.

My 2009 VF2 has a parameter or setting (don’t remember the number) that disables the .1 handle button. I’ve got it turned on.

This ↑↑↑↑
I have to train my guys to NEVER use the 0.1 feed, UNLESS you are nowhere near the part.

Did I find a junior operator had T1 about 20° off X axis while in the toolholder, due to running the tool into the stock? Yes I did!
(run on sentence)

Did the part get scrapped due to mis-tagging G54 with now crashed tool? Yes it did.

Now, NO MORE using 0.1" REGARDLESS.
If I catch someone using 0.1"
First offense = written up
The 2nd time, the same written up, but they get to take 3 days of NON-PTO.
The 3rd time:angry:....
Oh heck, nobody will do that.:cheers:

Well, except for as91000 or whatever. HA!

Same here.
Broke probe stylus and other stupid things a couple times.
.1 to get within a couple inches only.

Some models of Fanuc have a parameter to disable buffering pulses from the MPG. For example setting 0 to parameter 1413 on a 15 series (~30 year old control) disables MPG buffering. Maybe the tech that set up the X100 for you did not know all he should have.....
Another consideration was the need to translate English to Japanese. We asked them to so this, they did it and we learned to be REALLY careful on the 100x setting.

Wow... I had no idea there was such a thing as no X-Y-Z-4 buttons. For those without, please, spin away!

61e2c75b316f2c2b76bef100f4aa42d1d66c9c68.webp

No joggy joggy, only spinny spinny.

Every one already said, but yea, turn the setting ON to disable .1 jog and done. No reason (IMO) to need to jog at .1

While we are at it, you can use jog hold(?) at .01 and use feed overide to make it go faster, or you could, not sure if that is changed on NGC.

Every one already said, but yea, turn the setting ON to disable .1 jog and done. No reason (IMO) to need to jog at .1

While we are at it, you can use jog hold(?) at .01 and use feed overide to make it go faster, or you could, not sure if that is changed on NGC.

I think it's jog lock on haas

Setting 163. Turn it ON to disable 0.1 mode.

I also strongly urge you to do so.......

not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the heads up on it. Like van said about buffer disable, I knew fanuc/siemens had that option thought haas would to. but now I know what I'm dealing with and thanks for everyones input on that.

Back