What's new
What's new

Just got a hurco kmb1

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello, I just picked up a hurco kmb1 for $100 :-)
I have the manuals with it but no tooling...it appears to be the universal 200 tooling holder but how do I know for certain?

Jog my memory.....
Is this the model with the tape drive? I had one about 20 years ago. It did decent work, and was easy to program. It also used universal tooling. The tape drive was a pain.

Yes has a tape drive, I haven't put power to it yet. I wanted to order a tool holder to check the holder wasn't sure if there was something I could measure to verify the older size

Yes has a tape drive, I haven't put power to it yet. I wanted to order a tool holder to check the holder wasn't sure if there was something I could measure to verify the older size

Being a tape drive drive machine, you will need the master program tape. Without it, you have a mindless, useless machine. As I mentioned earlier, it has been awhile since i owned mine, so my memory may be a bit off. If I lost power, the master program needed to be reloaded. I ended up wiring up a large battery backup to the controller.

KMB1s had one of two spindles- Erickson 30 taper or Quick Switch. Look on the rim of the lock nut, if its KS there will be a part number for the nut and as I recall, the words "Universal Tool" or "UTS". Not sure about the Erickson. Must be KMB1 month- your the 2nd person this month turning up with one. Good luck.
If you power it up and you get "load master" on the crt, you know there is a good possibility that the computer will boot up after loading the executive program. Thats a subject for later.

So I found a 3.5" floppy in the paperwork entitled "hurco masters and g-code"
How would I get that onto the machine? (Copy it to a tape perhaps?)
The machine seems to have the 'parajust' retrofit...
Also there is a db9 connector on the back...perhaps to connect to a computer serial port?

The DB9 is probably a tape emulator. The masters on that floppy can be loaded via serial/db9. Depending on who made the tape emulator you may need a DOS machine to load it. If you open the control box and follow the DB9 cable, you will probably find an updated MPU board. There were a few companies that made them.

Follow the cable- if it goes directly to the MPU board in the main card cage, the machine has an updated MPU board. If the cable goes to a small board about 5" x 5" with another ribbon cable going to the card cage, that is a tape emulator board that allows you to use a PC as a replacement for the cassette reader to load master tapes and part programs. Report back on what you find.

The machine powers up but when I press the power button it only stays red when I hold it, should it stay on?
When the machine came on the screen showed what looked like g code and sat there (didn't say load master)
I need to look closer in the cabinet to see where the ribbon cable goes.

The machine powers up but when I press the power button it only stays red when I hold it, should it stay on?
When the machine came on the screen showed what looked like g code and sat there (didn't say load master)
I need to look closer in the cabinet to see where the ribbon cable goes.

Does the machine have an air hookup? Mine needed to see air pressure.

Where are you located? I have tapes that came with my sm1. Mine is upgraded with a tape emulator now so I don't need them. Not sure if they are the same. Could give you something to mess around with. I am in Detroit Michigan. I still have one hurco with the bx control in it and one in parts if you need something or need to see how it runs.
Don

Congratulations on the Hurco!

It will need air for the power light to stay energized. If the screen came up with G-Code it has some sort of upgrade that holds the master in memory. If your lucky it will have an upgraded MPU and not just an upgraded memory card. If you follow the directions from Dan in post 13 and let us know what you find we can give you some more detailed information. While your at it snap some pictures of the machine and control cabinets and post them.

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, just got back into town.
Yes the air fixed the problem...and I determined ~60 PSI is the minimum :)
I will take some pictures of the cabinet tonight when I get home, but the machine has 3 DB9 connectors on the back, one goes to a ~4"x4" board bolted inside the wall (looks like an add-on) and that has a ribbon cable coming off of it (maybe 25 pin, didn't count them) but that is not connected.
The other plate that has 2 DB9 connectors appears to have them wired together (maybe same pinouts) and that ribbon cable runs over to a board in the stack. I am guessing that is the memory board. That board has two DB9 connectors on it as well, but they are not connected (just the ribbon cable). I was not able to see well enough to identify if any of the chips on the board were upgraded. I tried to slide the board up, (after unplugging the edge connector on the bottom) but it appears the slides might lock it in somehow.
This machine appears to have the Parajust (not sure if I have the correct word) retrofit. although I am not sure what that is.
I have attached two pictures, on is the console it came with (but wasn't connected) I am guessing this is not needed with the upgrade to load NC code via DB9.
The other picture is the screen that it started up with.
Also,
I ran through the 'check' 'single cycle' 'operate' buttons and zeroed the table. The machine would run in manual mode. I tried all three axis and turned on the spindle and adjusted the speed. I turned on 'coolant' and the air nozzle started blowing air.console.jpg
startup.jpg

Don: Thank you for the information on your tapes, I will let you know what happens once I work through this machine, and its good to know parts might be available if/when I need them.

other information:
I also ran the program that came on the 3.5" floppy I got, it is a Ultimax software (looks like DOS based), and there appeared to be 2 files with it, although I did not try opening them.
I have not tried connecting a computer to the machine yet.

So- your machine does not have a BX control, so forget all the previous info- Ultimax controls are a totally different animal and nothing control related crosses over from one to the other.

Back