What's new
What's new

Kennametal DuoLock modular endmill system

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
So I have a customer job that needs a long reach solution to complete the job. I tend to get prototypes like this fairly frequently and I would like to find a long term solution to it.

In the past I have used Ingersoll modular indexable face/shoulder mills with good success. Basically a 1" diameter indexable cutter screwed into a solid carbide shank ($$$$) which is then mounted in a high performance milling chuck.

I have some extra toolholders like ER40 dual contact lying around so I thought I would consider a modular solution. For this job I was initially considering a 3/4" solid carbide long reach end mill for 4" of reach...well that is almost $300 right there. And then I would need a long flute finisher ($200)...So the modular price point isn't that far off from what I was already looking at.

Does anyone know if the Kennametal DuoLock cylindrical shanks are solid carbide or not? I have to assume yes but I realyy don't know and Kenna is pretty awful regarding documentation. It looks like a pretty attractive system with Maximet cutters for aluminum and Harvi cutters for steel all within the same system.

Any other solutions to look into? Probably up to $600 for a shank and cutter system is my starting budget.

I'd like a cylindrical shank that can easily change stickout lengths for different applications up to 4.5" stickout.

Thanks!

Do you want solid carbide ends, or indexable insert ends?

It looks like the Kennametal system that you mentioned is for solid carbide ends.

Seco/Kyocera/Maritool use a modular, threaded connection system for indexable insert ends. This is a really nice system, where you have the spindle taper arbor, extensions, and multiple indexable cutter bodies for the end. Mix & match for different lengths. Works really well with high-feed tools, for longer reaches. One of the bigger benefits of this style, is that you get a shorter overall gage-length, per reach. Seco calls theirs the "Combimaster" system. The M12 connection is most popular, and will give you 1" diameter cutter bodies. So far as I know, this is compatible with Kyocera, Maritool, and others?

Seco also has a line of solid carbide modular tools called their "Minimaster Plus" line. They perform well, though don't have as big an offering as others.

I know that Walter & Sandvik's "Screw-Fit" line of modular, indexable tools are interchangeable. I don't know if Sandvik's line of Coromill 316 solid carbide tools interchange with Walter's.

As far as modular solid carbide tools, Iscar probably has the biggest lineup.

I guess the two biggest questions though are... #1 - Do you want solid carbide, or indexable insert cutters? #2 - Who gives you the best support?

Do you want solid carbide ends, or indexable insert ends?

It looks like the Kennametal system that you mentioned is for solid carbide ends.

Seco/Kyocera/Maritool use a modular, threaded connection system for indexable insert ends. This is a really nice system, where you have the spindle taper arbor, extensions, and multiple indexable cutter bodies for the end. Mix & match for different lengths. Works really well with high-feed tools, for longer reaches. One of the bigger benefits of this style, is that you get a shorter overall gage-length, per reach. Seco calls theirs the "Combimaster" system. The M12 connection is most popular, and will give you 1" diameter cutter bodies. So far as I know, this is compatible with Kyocera, Maritool, and others?

Seco also has a line of solid carbide modular tools called their "Minimaster Plus" line. They perform well, though don't have as big an offering as others.

I know that Walter & Sandvik's "Screw-Fit" line of modular, indexable tools are interchangeable. I don't know if Sandvik's line of Coromill 316 solid carbide tools interchange with Walter's.

As far as modular solid carbide tools, Iscar probably has the biggest lineup.

I guess the two biggest questions though are... #1 - Do you want solid carbide, or indexable insert cutters? #2 - Who gives you the best support?

Good advice thanks!

To follow up...Im attracted to the DuoLock Kenna product because it is a carbide cutter which could be used for roughing and finishing in theory (long lengths of cut). I was looking at ingersoll solid carbide shanks(not cutters) and it looks like im priced out of that. I think they were about $850 just the shank.

SO steel body with solid carbide cutter OR indexable cutter is fine. Preferably solid so it can do finishing. Outside profiling is kinda okay with where Im at now, I can do a 4" deep OD profile using a 2"dia face mill pretty quick but it isn't ideal.

Downside of Kennametal is that it isn't a M12 or M14 interface, it is proprietary and developed with Haimer so only those specific cutters will work with it.

Seco Minimaster is pretty interesting looking too...I buy a lot of reduced shank smaller dia end mills for deep pockets and so the minimaster looks perfect for that.

Back