What's new
What's new

Kia cnc's any good?

klaney93

Plastic
I'm looking at a package deal on 2 mid 1990s kia machines, 1 lathe and 1 vmc. The lathe is a Kia Turn 21 with pneumatic bar feeder and the vmc is a Kia V25p. The V25p only has 5,800 hours and both seem to be in working order. Are these machines any good and if an issue does arise can parts be found to fix them? They are for sale just down the road for $7000 for the pair. Thanks in advance for any opinions on either one.

The only Kia I have experience with is our VX400(?) vmc.
We bought it new for a song back about 14 years ago for less than $60k. It's been rock solid since day one.
It's a basic Fanuc 0-M control 4020 mill,but almost zero issues and it's ran 10 hours a day since we got it.
Support in my area is Gerotech I believe.

If they have Fanuc O controls as stated above parts and support are readily available for the control systems and they are always the most likely source of break downs. Also even though one is a mill and one is a lathe they will share quite a few common components if they have the same brand and generation of control, which is another added bonus.

The only Kia I have experience with is our VX400(?) vmc.
We bought it new for a song back about 14 years ago for less than $60k. It's been rock solid since day one.
It's a basic Fanuc 0-M control 4020 mill,but almost zero issues and it's ran 10 hours a day since we got it.
Support in my area is Gerotech I believe.

We bought 2 used 2005? VX400's couple years ago and they have been great for what they are, no issues.

Programmed a Kia boring mill years ago. It was rigid and ran well. It was not my favorite of the bunch. I thought the Kuraki's and Ikegais were better.

Ive had several SK-21's and SKT-21LMS's and I would run them against Okuma and Mazak any day. Brute force machining and holds tenths consistently. I like the disc brake for locking the spindle while broaching and changing chucks. Too many times i've seen someone trying to brake a chuck loose with M19 active and it re-orient the C resulting in injury, Most of the big Japanese machines don't have that even as an option.

A friend has a KIA VMC, it's at least 30 years old, still holding tolerance and making parts. Not fast, but still cutting steel every day.

I have a SKT-250 from 2006. It sits for months unused then gets a few weeks of 12 hour days without any issues. It's nice and beefy. Only issues I ever have are from the downtime between uses, it gets gummed up from the coolant and I have to clean things up or just use it before everything moves freely again. Very basic Fanuc 0i-TC control.

As far as how beefy. I accidentally fat fingered a .010" feed as .10" in 4140. It made a really weird deep sound that didn't sound right. Stopped it and there were tons of strange looking blue chips. Went "oh, crap", fixed the feed and went on running with no issues. No broken tool, no realign turret, no stall. It just grunted through it and was ready for more. Love big box way machines with low gear.

Thank you all for your replies. I'm going to check them out tomorrow and see if they could work for me.

I have a Kia KV40A with a Fanuc OM-C which is sort of a clone of a Mori Jr. Not a great machine but it has been running and making me money for years. Pretty crude in build compared to a real Mori but I got it for cheap. The tool changer is rather tragic. It works.

have a KT15 w/ yasnac control and VC35 w/ Fanuc OM. don't run them a ton and have pretty basic machining needs but they do the job definitely not first choice of machines but for the small purchase price they work. if those machines are in decent shape and not beat to death i'd pick them up.

Back