What's new
What's new

KIA Kit30A Gang Lathe Alarm Help

Tedward4

Plastic
Just picked up this Kia KIT-30A w/Yasnac LX3 from a local auction for $396 and am working to clean it up a bit. There was a bit of mouse damage in the operator panel but the machine powers up and jogs around. Luckily the control cabinet is very clean and no mouse damage in there. The x axis is pretty crusty so cleaning that up as well. I'm trying to get the spindle to run, but I get alarm AL-55 "Security Fence Open Error." I didn't get any manuals with the machine but did manage to get Hyundai Wia to sent a pic of the alarm codes. I was certain this meant the door switch was open, but on the operator panel the door position indicator toggles when I open/close the door. So it looks like the door switch is working correctly, and it's a SPST switch so it's only sending one input to the LX3. This must not be door related then. The AL-55 looks to feed to address 1533.6 in the LX3, but I don't see any reference to that on the LX3 connection manual.

Anyone familiar with the lathes, or happen to have a wiring or operating or parts manual for it? Hyundai Wia US has told they are trying to get manuals from the factory but who knows it that'll happen.

Ted

IMG_7347.jpg
20180521_115459.jpg

Try moving the table to the top right corner, a few inches or so from the limits. turn the rapids down to say half, clear the alarm, and then hit the 'zero return' button. It's next to the standby button. Might take a few tries.

Try moving the table to the top right corner, a few inches or so from the limits. turn the rapids down to say half, clear the alarm, and then hit the 'zero return' button. It's next to the standby button. Might take a few tries.

Thanks for that. I do have the cross slide removed (including the limit switch ramps) to get better access to clean up the rails and ball screw. I turned the rapids down and was able to carefully press the switch by hand and sure enough, machine is homed! Now I can press the spindle jog and get it to turn on. The bummer part is that the CRT display gave me a good 30mins of sort of flickering/working before it quit. I can't really blame it though as the mice build a nest right on the PCBA and peed all over it. It looked like the vertical deflection IC got fried and I replaced with a new one but CRT still blank. I thought I remembered enough to get enter G97 S200 M3 in MDI and get it to run, but doesn't seem to like that (no alarms though, just nothing). Without the CRT, I'm pretty much blind so probably operator error. But the fact the the spindle does jog makes me feel better about putting a few $$ into the lathe. I was 50/50 on it being total dud and making a trip to scrap place.

If you can't find an affordable "Yasnac" CRT, be aware that many CRT from similar machines of the same age will work if you adapt the cable connections and adjust the HSYNC. I put a Fanuc 10M monitor in my Yasnac machine for "the time being" as that machine isn't in use. All the major control makers bought CRTs from one of a few (~3) sources.

If you can't find an affordable "Yasnac" CRT, be aware that many CRT from similar machines of the same age will work if you adapt the cable connections and adjust the HSYNC. I put a Fanuc 10M monitor in my Yasnac machine for "the time being" as that machine isn't in use. All the major control makers bought CRTs from one of a few (~3) sources.

Thanks for the info. I did have a CRT from a SWI Prototrak but I think it was dead also. I did manage to get an 8" LCD from Amazon to work by using a GBS-8219 converter. I'll post more details later, but see the attached picture. It was ~$250 for converter and LCD so I'm pretty happy.

IMG_7375.jpg

I also have had the AL-55 show up on my machine. I was "lucky" enough to get a schematic and ladder diagram... in quotes because it's pretty lousy documentation.

Several signals related to AL-55 are conveniently missing from the index, but skimming the whole doc, they seem to be for "FS2" (sometimes "FTS2", depending what page you are on!). Since there is no second footswitch on my machine, I think they were re-purposed for a second set of contacts inside the first footswitch. That guess is based on signal names mysteriously containing "VDE"... VDE being a German standards agency. It may be that one set is NC and one set NO. I haven't gotten to the shop to check this theory, and my aluminum footswitch housing is so badly corroded that it will take a while just to get inside. But the pedal is very sticky, and I wouldn't be surprised if that's where the problem is.

Never mind on the footswitch idea. I opened this one today, and it has only one set of contacts. I cannot explain what Kia might have done with the second footswitch signal which is used in the ladder.

After further experimentation, I think AL-55 could have to do with stored stroke limits. Have you looked at those? For some reason, I'm being constrained from moving X more than a tiny bit after homing... which seems like a suddenly new "feature". Maybe I mis-entered a parameter or something, or the default params set garbage stroke limits. I suppose what should have gotten translated as "limits" might have been translated as "fence"? Boy, the Yasnac manuals are so bad they make Fanuc look good :/

See post #2 from Nami; I got it to work by homing both x and z. I guess the "fence" is the limits like you suspected.

I've homed it quite a few times. The lights for X and Z come on to indicate they are homed, as is standard practice on Yasnac. I think I mucked something up and perhaps enabled the stroke limits. Does your spindle run now? Any trickery with chuck, door, etc. to get it on? I wish I had the Kia operation manual, but I have a feeling it would be as useless as all the other documentation.

Yeah I got the spindle running. After homing X and Z I went to MDI and entered M3S200, end of block, cycle start and it worked. I did manage to get the operators manual and wiring diagram from Hyundai. The operators manual is in Korean so only a little helpful. PM me if you want and I can send to you.

Back