What's new
What's new

Kia Lathe Turret Alignment Questions

BernieB

Plastic
I have an '01 Kia Skt25 that has a misaligned turret. Drills always drill oversized, and generally aren't happy. Every bar holder slot I've checked, I'm about .01" out, perpendicular to the X-axis. I can't seem to find a writeup, or anything in the manual on how to get the x-axis back in centerline with the spindle. Anyone had to re-align the turret on one of these old kias?
Thanks!!
Bernie

There is YouTube series by a guy on this forum detailing the alignment of a romi lathe.

May not be exactly like you machine but it could give you somewhere to start

I think user is watchweswork

thanks ianagos. I've already watched that one a few times and the kia turret is quite different.

Have you double checked the alignment of the bed using a level? What about the concrete floor? have a new slab poured? Have it setting on steel plates or factory pads? I'm not familiar with the exact machine but the all are the same basic design. Look in your manual and see what the say. Most came new with a bracket you set a level on or clamp in a turret hole. Double check to be sure all the leveling screws are touching and have an equal amount of torque. An easy way to check the alignment is to measure the holes of the turret and turn a test bar that has a sliding fit in the hole. make the bar so it slides in far enough, so when you clamp it is gets tight. Then turn another test bar in the chuck the same size of the turret bar. Have it sticking out about 6" on both pieces. Then from the cross-slide mount a mag base and indicator and test top dead center of the bars top and side. That will give you an idea where your at. Most sweep the holes and the indicator sags and you get a bad reading. In other brands their is a sheer pin under the turret that sheers off when you or the former operator crashed the machine. Also check along the bars and see which way the are pointing. I would use Aluminum or leaded cold roll to make the bars. Check that out and see what happens. Then follow the other guy's advice. :-)

Back