Kimatura MyCenter 1 - Right Tool For The Job? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yea, the nameplate was really faded, but it only had a serial number, voltage, etc. No mention of mfg year. I am going to cross reference by other serials I find and try to dial in the date that way. I'm pretty happy about finding a running machine that can get still gets parts and service at this price. I just have my fingers crossed it stays running for a while because I understand parts and service can quickly end up costing more than the machine.

I also need to start studying the Fanuc 0M and operator manuals when I get them so I can learn how to use it. I have no problem creating the toolpaths in CAM for the parts since I've been doing that for a while, but just figuring out how setup the control with my PC for DNC, jogging it around and setting the workpiece home, clearing alarms... all that good stuff needed to run a part. I've never personally ran a single part on a VMC or dedicated control, only with Mach3 controlling simple machines using steppers, no flood coolant, no ATC and basically just limit switches were the extent of the inputs on them and the only time an alarm came up is for overtravel.

It seems overwhelming now but I'm hoping the Control manual and Machine Operator manual will have everything I need to know how to drip feed my files and basic operation and I can dig into more advanced features and ways to be more efficient with it as my knowledge progresses.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kitamura can tell you the particulars of the machine with the serial #. A good cleaning and making sure everything is working right will improve reliability, just be careful not to cause problems while doing it.

Get the owner to spend some time teaching you how to start, setup, run, and shut down the machine before it gets unplugged. Ask him about clearing alarms and anything else he can think of. Also get the parameters he is using to communicate with it. What oils he is using so you can keep using the same. What repairs and maintenance he has done over the years, what regular maintenance he does. Learn everything you possibly can from him about the machine.

Make sure you get the parameters and 8000-9999 programs backed up. If you loose them I don't know how much Kitamura will be able to help you.

Overwhelmed? Wait until you have it sitting on your floor, powered up, and you are just starting to play with it!

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    I have a 2001 Mycenter 1 with a BT30 15k spindle, and have run a 1998 Fadal 15XT. If the Kitamura can't outperform the Fadal in steel then there is something wrong with it! No really, it sounds like there must be something wrong with it!
    Hello there

I am looking into a bt30 kit with 15k rpm spindle it's the one with automatic pallet changer , 1936 rapid on x and y ???

Is this box way machine?

Even if it's a bt30 how does it perform on steel and stainless?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Posted it twice
    Last edited by poxino; 04-24-2019 at 05:59 AM.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it is box way. Is it a rotating table or a separate pallet changer? What year and model? What control with what goodies? Yes the rapids are FAST, but real hard on the rubber bumpers in the way covers. I generally run mine at 50% rapids on most jobs, it only loses about 2 seconds a minute at most doing this. I still need to replace the mauled rubber bumpers in my X & Y axis way covers. Watch out for worn Z axis turcite. To tighten up head nod you have to pull the clamp bars and grind them flat, no gibs for nod, only side wear. It is not uncommon to find machines that this has not been kept up with. At best you can remove .0001" per inch head nod by having the rear feet hanging in air, these machines are stiff.

If you keep your tool projections to a minimum, Maritool stubby sidelock holders, 5/8" and smaller end mills, then you will have no problems. I use 3/4" mills too but there are no stubby BT30 tool holders for that size so that limits it a lot. Facemills won't be an issue either. It may be the most solid 30 taper vertical machine there is.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes it is box way. Is it a rotating table or a separate pallet changer? What year and model? What control with what goodies? Yes the rapids are FAST, but real hard on the rubber bumpers in the way covers. I generally run mine at 50% rapids on most jobs, it only loses about 2 seconds a minute at most doing this. I still need to replace the mauled rubber bumpers in my X & Y axis way covers. Watch out for worn Z axis turcite. To tighten up head nod you have to pull the clamp bars and grind them flat, no gibs for nod, only side wear. It is not uncommon to find machines that this has not been kept up with. At best you can remove .0001" per inch head nod by having the rear feet hanging in air, these machines are stiff.

If you keep your tool projections to a minimum, Maritool stubby sidelock holders, 5/8" and smaller end mills, then you will have no problems. I use 3/4" mills too but there are no stubby BT30 tool holders for that size so that limits it a lot. Facemills won't be an issue either. It may be the most solid 30 taper vertical machine there is.
    Hi,
    Many thanks for your reply , it has tsc , pallet changer is not the rotating table one,
    It has 30 tools , yom 2002 , fanuc 16imb, spindle chillier and chip auger.
    Machine would be delivered with a 3 months warranty, looks very clean and stated as very good condition by the seller.

How would you compare the cutting capabilities with a Robodrill of the same era without big plus , and how would you compare with a 40 taper haas machine?

Spindle is 15k rpm , but not sure if it would have enough torque for machining stainless?!
    5/8 end mill on a 30 taper?

It seems far more capable on any aspect than a robodrill t14 of the same era I am looking at

Thanks again , I was waiting for your reply

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Instead of thinking of the Kitamura as a heavy duty drill/tap machine think of it as a tool and die mill that is fast enough to be thought of as a drill/tap mill. If it is a X1 then it is 8,000 lbs of large box ways, 40mm x 8mm pitch screws, beefy spindle even though it is a 30 taper, 925 lbs of drawbar force, a spindle chiller and the spindle nose can get to 4.5" from the table! Since it has nearly 2,000 ipm rapids and a 4.25 second chip to chip tool change time it can compete with drill/tap mills. I rarely machine steel or stainless so can't give first had experience. The brochure on my machine says that the 12 minute torque ratings are 66Nm to1500 rpm or 48Nm from 8,000 on up if that helps. My only experience with Robodrills is from 1984 machines and earlier so probably not too usefull here.

If your happy with the price the rest sounds good to me. I have had my machine for 6 years now and love it. Another plus is the free phone tech help from Kitamura.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe it's definetely beefier than a robodrill of the same age.

I am not expecting to take heavy cuts on steel and stainless but instead using hsm strategies, I am not sure how good the control is for this.
    Is yours with Fanuc 16im?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine has a Yasnac J300 with the high speed machining card so it rips but I would think the 16i would be up to the task. If you use hsm and multiflute mills then all you have to worry about is having enough hp.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hp might be the weak point of this machine then... I believe is better than my 1995 robodrill for sure.

And as you stated it might be able to perforn milling more effectively.

Other things you think I have to watch out when I am going to see the machine?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only thing specific to this machine is head nod, more general is spindle health. Why are they selling it? How powerful is your Robodrill spindle? My Kitamura is 5.5kw continuous and 7.5kw for 12 minutes.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only thing specific to this machine is head nod, more general is spindle health. Why are they selling it? How powerful is your Robodrill spindle? My Kitamura is 5.5kw continuous and 7.5kw for 12 minutes.
    It's 3.7kw continuos and 5.5 for 10 minutes.

The kitamura I am looking has same power as the one you stated.

I spoke with the salesman today, apparently has been used very little , they are selling it as they mainly sell brand new machines and wanna free up space in the showroom.

Is the airblow a standard feature?Apparently the machine was 200k+ when new

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am pretty sure it was standard in the US. The 2001 X1 was $78,000 for the base machine. Check the way wipers for wear, I find that a good indicator of use, and find out if it has any high speed machining options. How much do they want for it?

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am pretty sure it was standard in the US. The 2001 X1 was $78,000 for the base machine. Check the way wipers for wear, I find that a good indicator of use, and find out if it has any high speed machining options. How much do they want for it?
    Hi!

Busy day today! They are asking 19k USD.

I am going to see the machine running at some point.

I will probably have more questions for you too

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

David,
    I have also found a video on YouTube of this machine face milling , ( material doesn't look aluminium ) , I believe spindle is a bbt 30 , is yours performing like this , it's just to have an idea , as I am impressed, but against I believe it's a bbt30 and not a bt30.
    YouTube

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think they are all bbt and the face mills sound normal to me, but I only have one facemill and it is not a square shoulder. The only time I have made a tool squeel was with a 3/4" end mill and that was because the projection was too long. If the projection was short it would have been fine. For the price, I would say it is a steal if the machine is in great shape AND a 3 month warranty. If you get it run the piss out of it for the first 3 months to make sure nothing is wrong. If it has been sitting for more than 4 months with no use I was told by one of the national Kitamura techs to bleed the air out of the spindle air/oiler. The system can trap air and block oil from getting to the spindle. This problem is most acute with the smaller orifice lines, and the top bearing has the smallest orifice so is most likely to get blocked. If it is you find out when the bearing dies. They don't like to sit unused.

My Yaskawa spindle motor has 3 ranges, does your Robodrill, or this Kitamura? I would say that Kitamura is a coulpe levels above your Robodrill in quality, longevity, and heavy milling. The only real complaint I have with mine is chip evacuation and the F#$king stainless troughs in the bottom to protect the paint. They allow coolant, oil and fine chips under them and are a perfect breeding ground for bacteria etc that you can't clean out.

17. Likes poxino liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure about the spindle if it has gears or not.I will ask them.

So, your one is a bbt30 then right?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes on the bbt30 but I don't have any bbt holders. No gears, the motor has 3 ranges. The Kitamuras that had gears around then had a 4 speed geared head that went to 30,000 rpm. That would be a nice option to have.

20. Likes poxino liked this post
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see...

Well the one on the video I believe are bbt30 holders otherwise it would be too good to be true

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes on the bbt30 but I don't have any bbt holders. No gears, the motor has 3 ranges. The Kitamuras that had gears around then had a 4 speed geared head that went to 30,000 rpm. That would be a nice option to have.
    Machine is with normal bt30 and not bbt30, no chance to run face mills like the one on the video I think