Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    It will allow you run again as long as you do not use the conveyor. You need to figure out why the conveyor is drawing excessive current and fix that.
    Guys it worked!

I am so so happy

I have 2nd limit switch remove light always on but switcher is down , is it meant to be like that?

I am still not sure about the conveyor and what is calling the problem

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not sure about the light but I "think" it is always on. As for the conveyor that is what your 3-month warranty is for.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidScott View Post
    I am not sure about the light but I "think" it is always on. As for the conveyor that is what your 3-month warranty is for.
    I already contacted the seller.

I also found out the x axis way covered is in bad condition , that's another thing that has to be repaired

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a close look at the rear Y axis cover, that is the one I would think is in the worst condition because of how many small segments make it up. Which X axis cover?

Take good care of that spindle, I shipped mine out to the rebuilder last Friday. They are a fairly expensive spindle to rebuild, and being dual contact it really narrows down who can really grind them.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Take a close look at the rear Y axis cover, that is the one I would think is in the worst condition because of how many small segments make it up. Which X axis cover?

Take good care of that spindle, I shipped mine out to the rebuilder last Friday. They are a fairly expensive spindle to rebuild, and being dual contact it really narrows down who can really grind them.
    L/h side x axis cover , the y axis seem both good!

What sort of cost are we talking about for spindle rebuilt?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At least that is the simplest cover on the machine.

$5500-$6000 to replace the bearings. A couple hundred more to dust off the taper. Removal and installation are on you. Removal is fairly easy, installation is pretty involved.

I have a question for you. With the machine idle or off grab the spindle nose or tool holder if one is in the spindle and rotate it back and forth quickly. Do you feel any slop? The spindle to motor coupling is basically a gear keyed to the spindle and a hollow shell with gear teeth in it that clamps to the spindle motor and fits over the gear on the end of the spindle to drive it. Mine has noticeable slop in it but it is worn out from useless morons installing the spindle the last time.

If you haven't been following my spindle rebuild thread here is the link, long version since the forum software isn't working, Spindle rebuild on my 2001 Kitamura, a how to with some questions.. Check out post #42. There is a 7mm hole on the opposite side of the spindle from the coolant nozzles that is the air/oil exhaust vent. Your bottom bearings are about 2" up it so DO NOT BLOW ANYTHING TOWARDS IT AS IT IS VERY EASY TO BLOW COOLANT AND CHIPS INTO YOUR BEARINGS!!!! I am going to come up with something to guard against this as I found metal chips in with my bottom bearings. Unlike the spindle nose, there is nothing to keep chips and coolant from going up the hole unless the air/oil air is coming out.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

$5500-$6000 to replace the bearings. A couple hundred more to dust off the taper. Removal and installation are on you. Removal is fairly easy, installation is pretty involved.

I have a question for you. With the machine idle or off grab the spindle nose or tool holder if one is in the spindle and rotate it back and forth quickly. Do you feel any slop? The spindle to motor coupling is basically a gear keyed to the spindle and a hollow shell with gear teeth in it that clamps to the spindle motor and fits over the gear on the end of the spindle to drive it. Mine has noticeable slop in it but it is worn out from useless morons installing the spindle the last time.

If you haven't been following my spindle rebuild thread here is the link, long version since the forum software isn't working, Spindle rebuild on my 2001 Kitamura, a how to with some questions.. Check out post #42. There is a 7mm hole on the opposite side of the spindle from the coolant nozzles that is the air/oil exhaust vent. Your bottom bearings are about 2" up it so DO NOT BLOW ANYTHING TOWARDS IT AS IT IS VERY EASY TO BLOW COOLANT AND CHIPS INTO YOUR BEARINGS!!!! I am going to come up with something to guard against this as I found metal chips in with my bottom bearings. Unlike the spindle nose, there is nothing to keep chips and coolant from going up the hole unless the air/oil air is coming out.
    The guy is in tomorrow to check both conveyor and way cover , I will keep you guys updated

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Engineer was in today, chip conveyor has been sorted , same as way cover , we sort of refurbished it.

I will probably send for a proper refurbishment soon.

Everything seems ok now , except I came in this morning and the wall socket, was not working anymore , not sure if it's because I am running the machine transformer which is rated @42a on a 32a wall socket?
    Strange as it has been ok for few weeks.
    Unfortunately the total power I have available for my unit is only 50amps.

I have been running Robodrill, the Kit , and 10hp compressor without any issue last weeks , hope is just the socket defective

Regarding the spindle I did that check you asked me and I couldn't feel any slop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow, that's a lot for 50 amps. Thanks for checking the play in your spindle. I am thinking I will be getting a new drawbar and spindle coupling, but will wait to hear what Setco says.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Power permitting, I can't wait to start cutting some metals.

I have many small aluminium parts to do , I am not super familiar with pallet changers, but for my application I think is worth

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by poxino View Post
    Power permitting, I can't wait to start cutting some metals.

I have many small aluminium parts to do , I am not super familiar with pallet changers, but for my application I think is worth
    Way cover works now , what about wipers where do.I find new ones , in the way cover they repaired there are no wipers at all

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Start searching! Hennig rebuilt both Y-axis covers before I bought my machine so I could get new wipers from them. Both of my X-axis way covers are original and although the wipers are still there they do need to be replaced. Kitamura here was useless for that item, they only sell the complete way covers, not parts. WTF!

I have RTV siliconed a dam on both X-axis covers to keep most of the coolant and chips off of the way covers. It's two-piece with aluminum flashing screwed to it to extend the height. It has been like this for several years and no problems from it. I also hold a sheet of aluminum along the back of the table with magnets to do the same for the Y-axis rear cover.

after.jpg

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Start searching! Hennig rebuilt both Y-axis covers before I bought my machine so I could get new wipers from them. Both of my X-axis way covers are original and although the wipers are still there they do need to be replaced. Kitamura here was useless for that item, they only sell the complete way covers, not parts. WTF!

I have RTV siliconed a dam on both X-axis covers to keep most of the coolant and chips off of the way covers. It's two-piece with aluminum flashing screwed to it to extend the height. It has been like this for several years and no problems from it. I also hold a sheet of aluminum along the back of the table with magnets to do the same for the Y-axis rear cover.

after.jpg
    Wow that's a very good idea!
    I think I am going to copy it , in the mean time I will do a research for the way cover refurbishment

Double station vice arrived today , dual contact holders coming as well

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you pulled the way covers back to inspect what is under them? This is something you REALLY want to do before your warranty expires in case your ways got rusted. Make sure you have the special grease to seal them up with when you bolt them back on. No seals and sitting for so long would make me a little leary.

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you pulled the way covers back to inspect what is under them? This is something you REALLY want to do before your warranty expires in case your ways got rusted. Make sure you have the special grease to seal them up with when you bolt them back on. No seals and sitting for so long would make me a little leary.
    The ways they look very clean to me, but I could be wrong, when I have a chance I will take some pictures.

What special grease do I need?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forget about hss total ass not good for anything!!!
    Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by D Nelson View Post
    Forget about hss total ass not good for anything!!!
    Don

Hss? What do you mean?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mean high speed cutters they are for Bridgeport’s and routers that’s it. If you would like some hss endmills I have lots of them and I will sell them cheap as hell
    Don

Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent all day setting the machine up, I actually noticed the slop you mentioned before on the spindle.
    I also noticed the bad finishing on the parts , so there os definitely something wrong with the spindle!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My slop is extreme but I only recently noticed surface finish issues with my face mill that may be from my mill, but I think it was my spindle losing preload not the slop in the coupling. The noise coming from my spindle changed about the same time I started noticing surface finish issues on a part that I have made a lot of over the years.