What's new
What's new

Kitagawa actuator seal replacement?

lethal375

Aluminum
Just purchased a lathe and when checking everything over I found some small leaks due to hard cracked orings and hoses.

Decided to go through everything and change all orings, hoses, and seals in the hyd system.

I am down to the chuck actuator and can hardly find anything on these things?

Seems funny that you can find anything and everything on the internet, except detailed info on Kitagawa actuators in general?

Mine is a SS1881K15Y

Looking for info on how to change seals? Exploded views? Parts breakdown?

Any help is appreciated

I have done a few actuators before. There's not much to them. All the ones I've ever done have used only O-rings as the seals. You can buy generic ones if you can identify them. I'd bet that if you called Kitagawa, they would have a parts breakdown and be able to sell you a rebuild kit with all the o-rings. It would be a little expensive but save you the time trying to measure and identify the o-rings needed.

I did some checking and testing.

Should the actuator discharge any oil through the drain during normal operation?

Mine has a steady stream about the same while the chuck is open or closed

That's normal. The rotary union is not a perfect seal and oil is designed to pass through.

That's normal. The rotary union is not a perfect seal and oil is designed to pass through.

I read through the manual last night and I found where it says 4.3 l/min drain. Looks like a small cursive "L" / min ?

Pump is rated at 19 l/min

That seems like a lot? Nearly 20% of pump capacity for just one of the hyd circuits/functions.

Well, on a lathe, I believe it's the only things that's actually designed to leak. The other hydraulic functions don't really use that much flow, and the usage is not constant- moving tailstock, indexing turret, actuating part catcher, activating spindle brake, etc.

Back