What's new
What's new

Kitamura Mycenter 0

Hillsborough

Plastic
Is anyone familiar with these machines and the Yasnac control that was on them. MX3 control. Looking for information on wiring conections for a phase convertor with a wild leg and information on boards and board repairs if it becomes necessary. Also 4th axis compatibility It has 4th axis controls. I know this might be vague, but I just picked it up and starting to gather information as needed. Also file transfer information via USB to RS232 port and possible memory upgrades if they become necessary as well. Thanks to all.

I had one and hated that controller. There is a reason why the exact same machine cost much more with a Fanuc. Put the wild led on L3 and you will be fine. One warning get the settings out of the inverter for tool changer. I believe you need to use the digital operator and cursor through and write them down. Upload all the parameters if you haven't already as Yaskawa does not have the data on that machine. I never found a good Yaskawa repair place, but used boards for that model are all over E-bay. That is where most of my machine went.

I like the MX3. Yaskawa hardware is pretty solid.

That's a really small machine. I don't know if there is room for a 4th.

MX3 is fine. Reliability is fine. Yaskawa still does a good job with support. They do have a few quirks, but that can be said of pretty much any control. I've always found them easy to work on as long as the documentation was still with the machine. Do as Dualkit says and backup all the machine data NOW!

IIRC the Mycenter 0 did not have a hydraulic unit. A sharp tech could set that machine up to run on single phase quite easily if that is the case. Avoid all the noise and cost of a RPC.

Place I did some work at used to have 3 of them. Two of them were set up to use a 5" faceplate 4th axis. Unless it came with a 4th you'll still need quite a bit of hardware beyond the 4th itself to get that working. You will need a bunch of new NC and PLC parameters set and possibly a firmware upgrade (likely NLA).

MX3 is fine. Reliability is fine. Yaskawa still does a good job with support. They do have a few quirks, but that can be said of pretty much any control.

Quirks? Setting G54-G59 was a joke, you had to manually input 6 digit numbers on all axis. Depending on what quadrant of the machine used the approach length and angles needed to pick up G41 and G42 varied. As for support the local Yaskawa parts and service (at the time So Cal circa 2008-2010) would try to sell me a new machine every time I called for price and availability on even a toggle switch. Their favorite line was "Are you still driving the same car you were in 1993?" My machine was a lemon that constantly had breakdowns of even hardware items like all those toggle switches on the operator panel. Also the Yaskawa parts people would try to sell me a service call on crap a monkey could do when I ordered parts, claiming "professional installation" would guarantee more up time.

I usually agree with your views, not this time.

Thanks for that info. I cant get the machine too power completely. It keeps blowing the fuses on the CPS-10NB power supply PCB. I changed them thinking the wild leg took them out, but after insuring only 115 on each feed it still takes them out. Bad power supply??

Thanks for that info. I cant get the machine too power completely. It keeps blowing the fuses on the CPS-10NB power supply PCB. I changed them thinking the wild leg took them out, but after insuring only 115 on each feed it still takes them out. Bad power supply??

The power supply going out is what forced me to give up and scrap my machine. Unless you put up pictures of the cabinet open I am going off of memories I am trying to forget, ha,ha. If I were you I could just disconnect all the outputs, replace the fuses and try again.

I tried that. I just plugged in the input and it still blew fuses

My issues were everyone I called to repair mine did not have a schematic for it nor could they get one. I gave two places a shot repairing it and they failed. I actually was shocked that little by little by a year I got $4500 piecing the machine out on E-bay which was probably double what it was worth whole. As for that power supply, it is probably bad. I can only determine what board is bad, I can't do board level repairs nor diagnose board problems unless they are obvious to the naked eye. Others here can. All I can recommend is eliminate Radwell or a place whose name I forget in Lynchburg Virginia as places to send for repair.

Quirks? Setting G54-G59 was a joke, you had to manually input 6 digit numbers on all axis. Depending on what quadrant of the machine used the approach length and angles needed to pick up G41 and G42 varied. As for support the local Yaskawa parts and service (at the time So Cal circa 2008-2010) would try to sell me a new machine every time I called for price and availability on even a toggle switch. Their favorite line was "Are you still driving the same car you were in 1993?" My machine was a lemon that constantly had breakdowns of even hardware items like all those toggle switches on the operator panel. Also the Yaskawa parts people would try to sell me a service call on crap a monkey could do when I ordered parts, claiming "professional installation" would guarantee more up time.

I usually agree with your views, not this time.

Certainly sounds like you had a troublesome machine.

I'm probably more tolerant of things like the method for setting G54-G59 than many. An MX1 was the first CNC I ran that had fixture offsets. Super nice compared to the other controls I ran that had to use G92 so I didn't care what hoops had to be jumped through to use G54-G59. Admittedly, by the time the MX3 came out Yaskawa could certainly have improved the process for setting those.

On the rare occasion that I needed to talk to a Yaskawa engineer, I used their main office in Chicago. Always helpful and professional. The difference in how they treat callers may have been because I was working for a machine tool importer/distributor rather than being an end user.

In the years of the MX series controls some of the programming features like circle milling and hole patterns were really nice compared to the comparable Fanuc controls. Today with most programming being done on CAM the benefit is minimal.

If I was looking at an older CNC, I would have no worries that it had a Yasnac control.

On the rare occasion that I needed to talk to a Yaskawa engineer, I used their main office in Chicago. Always helpful and professional. The difference in how they treat callers may have been because I was working for a machine tool importer/distributor rather than being an end user.

I have never been more than a lowly end user whether I was working for the man or self employed for the last 20 years. It has been my experience when dealing with the OEMs and control system manufacturers I have dealt with you end up being forced to use your local regional office, if they are incompetent jackasses that is what you have to deal with.

This company has several service techs around the country plus the head customer service guy is knowledgeable as heck. Maybe he can help you trouble shoot your older machine.
You can mention my name, that may help if your not a regular customer as I taught them to scrape. I believe hey are one of the largest Kitamura dealer in USA Campat Machine Tool, Inc.

I have two mills with Yaskawa controls, an Enshu with a J50 and a Kitamura with a J300. I have talked with both Yaskawa and Kitamura tech help and have nothing but praise for both.

Thanks all for the info. I will keep picking away at it. If it wasn't such a clean machine I probably wouldn't have bought it. I used to run Yasnac and fanuc controls on Mori and Mazak machines back in the 90's when I got out of school. They ran 24-7 like clockwork. I got out of the CNC industry shortly after but have always been wanting to run them again. This is just a hobby machine for now, but hopefully turn in to some production run work outside of my reqular job.

The power supply is pretty simple. It's just a switch mode power supply. If it's blowing fuses instantly, probably the rectifier module has shorted. Any good electronics repair shop should be able to fix it.

Have you made any progress on your Mycenter0? I have one and can sent you a pic of the wiring for the wild-leg config it that would help.

Bump on an old thread. Ever figure out your 4th axis upgrade? I would be willing to tackle this project with you. I have an old mx3 Mycenter 0 that has treated me well. I upgraded the memory to a whopping 1 meg a while back (with an ebay board) and replaced a failed drive with one of their re engineered servopacks.

I have no issues with the mx3 yeah work offsets are a little weird and overall navigation is odd but what do you expect from a 30 year old machine.

Back