What's new
What's new

Kitamura mycenter 1 first mill

Kevkulo

Plastic
Recently I got my first cnc mill Kitamura mycenter1
The machine is running ok but I have a question seeking for exper tips . The air seems like leaking from the top or somewhere near the spindle. I have a 1.7 hp 28 Gallon air compressor , and it cannot handle the air leak. Every time I plugged the air in the machine it would drain so fast the compressor would run and run on forever.

Can someone help me out please as this is my first cnc mill and it’s pretty old like 1997.

Does the leak disappear when you hit the emergency stop?

Might just be the normal spindle air purge. <2hp is not a lot of compressor. That would probably struggle to feed my Okuma vertical, and is definitely not enough air for either of the European mills over here.

Does the leak disappear when you hit the emergency stop?

Might just be the normal spindle air purge. <2hp is not a lot of compressor. That would probably struggle to feed my Okuma vertical, and is definitely not enough air for either of the European mills over here.

The leak is still there somewhere near the spindle for when I hit the e-stop

I haven't looked inside a Kitamura but a friend got a similar vintage Kern and it has a bunch of Festo type lines and couplings- every single coupling was leaking when he got it. I would imagine something similar there.

Do you think my air compressor is too small for the machine ? I can hear air going somewhere around the spindle. When the machine is off the air will stop

My Kitamura 5X keeps a 5HP compressor running almost continuously when the spindle is on.

This is the downside to an oil spindle.

On my Brothers the spindle air purge runs all the time even while the machine is off. I have a hand valve I shut off when not in use. Point is estop doesn’t shut this off on all machines.

My 2001 Mycenter 1 shuts the spindle air off 4 minutes after the spindle shuts off. I think the ball screw nuts get the same air/oil as the spindle too so not just the spindle. When running it keeps my 4hp 2 stage compressor on about 70% of the time. I know I have some leaky solenoid valves in the back but they're not bad enough and I am always too busy to replace them.

Thats the oil air spindle lubrication for the spindle. On my kitamura, you have a long copper tubing supplying air to the upper spindle bearings. You can see the connector under the spindle next to the cat40 holder. Most older Japanese machines are similar to this. I guess back in the day compressed air was cheap and plentiful. :skep:

Back