Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Kurt DX6 Reverse

Has anyone tried these yet? I see they're available on kurt's website but the picture shows a standard dx6. We pulled the trigger on the genos 560 so we're looking into new vices for it. What's the thoughts on reverse vs standard vices on machines this style?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi CNC Farming,
    Without know whats getting cut most of the time its hard to say? If it was a horizontal machine, those vises are sweet!!!
    You have the hard jaw down at the bottom where the part can rest, and the handle is within reach. The movable jaw is where you want it too.
    With the vertical you have, I would have to say standard vise is going to be the best since operator will be pushing the part up against the hard jaw.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't used a reverse vice on a Genos () but in general I prefer the reversed style of vice on a CNC due to the reduced reach-in distance. This may not be a huge advantage due to how close the table gets to the operator with the Genos.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hey guys. I received the vices a couple weeks ago but we don't have the genos up and running yet...hopefully soon. Here's a couple pics of them on the Junkford. They worked great in there and I think I'm going to really like them on the genos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0574.jpg   img_0575.jpg   img_0576.jpg   img_0577.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CNC Farming View Post
    Hey guys. I received the vices a couple weeks ago but we don't have the genos up and running yet...hopefully soon. Here's a couple pics of them on the Junkford. They worked great in there and I think I'm going to really like them on the genos.
    I use the 3600 reverse series in my VMCs and I love them. I'm sure you will too.

6. Likes CNC Farming liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reverse vices are a BIG back saver on about any vmc. I have four side-by-side in my Mazak mill, and they literally save about 8" of reach in. Multiply that by thousands of parts over a bunch of years, and that's a LOT less strain on a man's back.

Remember, you have to cut different lengths of the blue seal strips for various clamping positions, to keep as many chips as possible out from the inerds of the vice.

ToolCat

8. Likes CNC Farming liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question on the DX6... Since the screw is secured in the back (traditional position), that means the
    screw has to be long enough to go the entire length of the vise, plus stick out, plus stick out for the handle.

Is it possible the only difference between a regular DX6 and a Reverse is that some Schmoe put
    the screw in backwards? Are the bearing surfaces on the screw machined to go both ways???

From the way the screw sits, they could easily make a forward/reverse vise VERY easily...

I haven't looked, but does the "reverse" cost more than than the traditional???...

Completely OT, but sort of related.. I scored qty 10 D688 rebuild kits on E-bay for $110.