What's new
What's new

Kurt DX6 Vise sticking??

mmurray70

Stainless
I got a couple fairly new DX6 vises and one seems to sticking when loaded. Both are free to turn when unclamped, but one seems to bind a little when clamping load comes on it. Makes it hard to get good feel for how tight your part is. And its hard to release when clamping tightly.

Tried oiling the screw with no improvement. Guessing this is something to do with the thrust bearing? Anybody have any suggestions on how to fix this?

Anybody else somewhat dissapointed with the DX6? Used the 688's for years at my last shop and never ever had an issue. Seems like the DX6 screw mounting is much more rinky dink. Theres barely enough room to use 5/8 clamping bolts. The new style fixture keys suck too. Only thing I really find better then the 688 is the extra bolts holding the fixed jaw. Does seeem to keep things square better.

I know my issue is a different model but maybe there is similarities. My newest Kurt 3600V Sticks when I tighten it. I can use a little pressure to close it but I need to hit the handle to open it. Maybe a 6 month old vise. All of my other 3600's which are probably at least 5 years old are smoother.

I have 2 of the DX6 on my VMC I have not had that problem but I take the moving jaw off and clean under it fairly often they do gather a lot of chips in there. Have you removed and cleaned under the rear jaw? Someone posted this link the other day about soft jaws when I was asking a question go to the 2:43 mark and see the chip buildup under the back jaw.

YouTube

isnt that type literally one screw is loosened and the movable jaw comes off for cleaning and when put back on that same one screw adjusts tighteness that is you can loosened it as much as you want but the movable jaw can be higher when looser and comes down more when tightened.
many a vise needs 1/4 turn on screw to loosen up a bit if too tight from rust or chips. usually if you need to loosen more its better take movable jaw the whole upper subassembly off and clean, oil and reassembly. going to take what 1 to 2 minutes ?

I know my issue is a different model but maybe there is similarities. My newest Kurt 3600V Sticks when I tighten it. I can use a little pressure to close it but I need to hit the handle to open it. Maybe a 6 month old vise. All of my other 3600's which are probably at least 5 years old are smoother.

Yeah mine is doing the same thing. Its a little tighter closing and then very hard to open it.

I kinda doubt its chips in the movable jaw, but i guess i could check it. I think its in the bearing somewhere, have to pull it apart sometime when i get a chance. Hate to admit but been using kurt vises for over 10 years and never ever took a jaw off to clean one. Never ever had any need to, the 688s always worked perfectly.

I hate the new kurt 6inch vices and the cheap front mount that gives too much. 2 of the 688's bought 8 or so years ago I used had the radius underneath too high so the angled wedge would hit and not allow the jaws to pull down. The radius I'm talking about is right under the ball pocket in the moveable jaw, where the half ball fits in.

Yeah mine is doing the same thing. Its a little tighter closing and then very hard to open it.

I kinda doubt its chips in the movable jaw, but i guess i could check it. I think its in the bearing somewhere, have to pull it apart sometime when i get a chance. Hate to admit but been using kurt vises for over 10 years and never ever took a jaw off to clean one. Never ever had any need to, the 688s always worked perfectly.

i often used a mill with 4 kurt vises side by side and often adjusted the one screw on vise to loosen movable jaw tightening torque required if binding. obviously if you can stick a .0015" feeler gage between the movable jaw assembly and the bed of vise when vise tight theirs most likely chips under neath it.
maybe every 1000 parts need to adjust one or two of the vises and or clean them. thats one of the best features of a kurt vise. one adjustment screw backed off all the way the movable jaw sub assembly comes off for easy cleaning. maybe per 5000 parts i have adjusted the adjustment screw maybe 1/2 dozen times. got to do with size of chips and if they are covering the vises. smaller and thinner chips can get in to tighter spaces and cause problems. many have a sheet metal U shaped cover sitting on the kurt vise to help keep chips off them

We have had problems with them in the past when you tighten a part it seem to lift it up about .005-.01. Not all of them did this but we send back 6 a few years ago.

Back