What's new
What's new

Kurt HD 690

The moveable jaw lifts off also.
The vise is taller then a 688 so to match my other vises it needs to be a HD 690 I like the vise except the higher price
Don

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don, how easy is it to remove the sliding jaw on the HD960? I have to remove the sliding jaws on my 688's pretty often to clean chips out of the underside pockets. This is easy on the 688, just a single setscrew. I don't see that setscrew on the HD690, so am wondering how the sliding jaw comes off.

Or, is chip packing not a problem with the HD960?

Thanks, and regards.

Mike

If you are buying new vises, go with orange!

I want to like the Orange vise, really I do ;).

But, I can't get past the hex end of the screw changing location and (apparently) sometimes deeply buried in the vise. For narrow parts, you would need a socket wrench with an extension to reach the hex, right?

This is my current setup:

Vise.jpg

Vise handles are fixed in place and are always there, in optimum position. With very short cycle times, part swap time becomes a big deal. Having to use a socket wrench seems like it would make me crazy.

Regards.

Mike

But, I can't get past the hex end of the screw changing location and (apparently) sometimes deeply buried in the vise. For narrow parts, you would need a socket wrench with an extension to reach the hex, right?

View attachment 330378

Vise handles are fixed in place and are always there, in optimum position. With very short cycle times, part swap time becomes a big deal. Having to use a socket wrench seems like it would make me crazy.

Regards.

Mike

Ok me too but I didn’t want to be a bitcher
Don

View attachment 330378

Regards.

Mike

Welp there is a really easy solution to that that is NOT a socket/ratchet wrench. Just get a 1/2" or 3/8" square drive with an extended socket adapter. It functions exactly the same as the handles shown in your photo. Using a setup like this with the Orange far outweighs any negatives about Orange Vise. They are inherently better and more flexible than a Kurt.
wrench.jpg

It just lifts off its spring loaded and I use the chip guard under the jaw
Don

After seeing the nastiness under my sliding jaws, I'm very tempted to mill an o-ring groove in the bottom to make a chip wiper.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Back