What's new
What's new

Lagun mill w/ Anilam 1100

seve7

Aluminum
Picked up a Lagun Mill with an Anilam 1100, didnt come with a manual and theres quite the lack of data for it. Honestly not even sure of the model so I was seeing if someone could point me in the right direction with getting it setup.

The control is regular 120v single phase, but we were planning on running the motor off a vfd. After digging into the power panel, started to get a bit confused as it wasnt readily apparent what the servo drives want for power.

Any help identifying what model this mill is and where I could find some manuals and wiring diagrams. It did come with a programming manual though. Pics to follow

Allow me:
Don Schoof

Measurement Technologies

23060 Industrial Drive East

Saint Clair Shores MI

313-640-8080 Phone

313-640-8050 Fax

I have a Dah-Lih with the same control.
Don can tell you if the control can support the VFD.
Don set me up with greatly expanded memory and knows the control in his head.
Also, a thumb drive.
I found the 1100 software confusing at first, but I was over-complicating it.

Bobcad has a post for it.
Really, for programming on your feet, the 1100 is really easy after you get used to it.
Tips n tricks also sold me a training CD for the 100 which is really good..
I'll try to get his contact to you if interested.

So far as the Mill goes, there isn't much to it. Motors...pumps... most the fun happens in the control.

more putzing, powered up the control, all the scales are working, but the control crashed while going through some menus, needs a hard drive, on the reboot it failed to boot from disk. it has been upgraded at some point though, according to the bios post it has a 850mhz pentium 3 and 130mb of ram.

Attachments

• 20200920_220812.jpg
    20200920_220812.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 130
Don is da Man.
Look, Jerry from Heidenhain, South Africa put me onto him.
And when I up-graded mine... the cost was hundreds of dollars.
Hundreds.
He is always busy, you can tell when you get him on the phone,that he is helping you although his ass is afire.
Quit worrying... he will get you all fixed up.
There IS no other option than Don.
I invested a lot of time just running him down.

Don and Jerry Bouvier are both Anilam Jedi masters.

When your control boots up, hit delete to get into the BIOS settings. Is todays date the date that pops up? It could be that your CMOS battery is dead and the BIOS settings are not proper.

Your Lagun looks like the ones that are made for CNC retrofits, i dont know the exact model. We have alot of them in our area. The motors are typically around 90-100VDC motors that use the power from the 120 to run.

Jon

thanks. jerry was recommended by the previous owner. it booted once, then it hung and then couldnt find the disk on reboot. nice catch on the date but the bios battery didnt throw an error which they usually do when they are dead. the prior owner said the hard drive was clicking alot so im assuming the disk is about dead. after some more digging did figure out that the the servo drives were tapped from the 120 line.

Here is the link to the Anilam traing CD
It is for the 3000M control, but is directly relevant to the 1100M control.
This is the conversational training, but the control will also digest G-code.
I can again program on my feet at the machine and often do as I am too lazy to go up to the office sometimes and you can do a lot with the control.
Tips For Manufacturing Multimedia Training Tools For Mastercam and Anilam

thanks. jerry was recommended by the previous owner. it booted once, then it hung and then couldnt find the disk on reboot. nice catch on the date but the bios battery didnt throw an error which they usually do when they are dead. the prior owner said the hard drive was clicking alot so im assuming the disk is about dead. after some more digging did figure out that the the servo drives were tapped from the 120 line.

Make sure you don't have a floppy in it.
It can't boot up trying to read it.
If it has a thumb drive in it, same thing. Pull it.

Oh, I forgot.
I have a programming Manual.
I'll have to see if I can dig that up and park it in our P.M. Library.
I'll find it.

Additionally, I had Dave up from M&M CNC doing some work on the Fadal which he finished real quick, so I asked him to see what was wrong with my 1100 control.
Took him a few minutes, but the thing was he said it was just like an old Fadal!
Everything was right where it was supposed to be, right at home.
I suspect they copied it.

Here is the link to the Anilam traing CD
It is for the 3000M control, but is directly relevant to the 1100M control.
This is the conversational training, but the control will also digest G-code.
I can again program on my feet at the machine and often do as I am too lazy to go up to the office sometimes and you can do a lot with the control.
Tips For Manufacturing Multimedia Training Tools For Mastercam and Anilam

it did come with the programming manual, and i did also find this online. Anilam 1100M Programming Manual CNC Three Axis pdf - CNC Manual

the gcode looks very... proprietary to the control. i've recently started playing around with a mastercam trial, but am very partial to fusion because its just so damn fast. it has a generic anilam post. once i get this thing to boot and moving around, i'll see if that post is close.

Make sure you don't have a floppy in it.
It can't boot up trying to read it.
If it has a thumb drive in it, same thing. Pull it.

ya, it has neither, drive showed up today, probably tomorrow i'll be dusting off the old computer repair skills and trying to copy the drive thats in it to the new(er) one.

thanks for the replies to help me get this thing moving in the right direction.

it did come with the programming manual, and i did also find this online. Anilam 1100M Programming Manual CNC Three Axis pdf - CNC Manual

the gcode looks very... proprietary to the control. i've recently started playing around with a mastercam trial, but am very partial to fusion because its just so damn fast. it has a generic anilam post. once i get this thing to boot and moving around, i'll see if that post is close.

Excellent!
Thanks,
Mark

ya, it has neither, drive showed up today, probably tomorrow i'll be dusting off the old computer repair skills and trying to copy the drive thats in it to the new(er) one.

thanks for the replies to help me get this thing moving in the right direction.

Don can handle everything you need if you get stuck.
I bought the memory up-grade, and a new zippy with a 386 chip in it,
( I think ) which was a huge improvement over the stock chip.
( Could'a been 486 )
Archaic stuff, but it doesn't take a Cray Super-computer to run a 3 axis machine, there is no way the iron could respond faster than it's brains.

Seve7,
I have been learning Fusion and it does post ok, some minor changes needed at the control but quite easy. Mostly feed speeds if I remember right.
Fusion just sent out a notice that the free version will be very limited as of Oct 2, 2020. I only just started learning.......

more putzing this afternoon, jerry sent over the current software, turns out, the machine already had it. 6.48h.

bios battery is smoked, but its permanently mounted, so im going to figure out what to do with that, might cut it off, and remote mount a substitute, im pretty comfortable with pth and smd soldering.

there is currently some really wonky usb via floppy adapter on it, took a quick peek at some documentation for it, i may need to do some file structure things slightly different.

got it to boot consistently numerous times today. was able to move through the controls menus without a system crash.

still trying to get it to move. got it to turn the drivers on, and then tried to jog it on y and z and it would do a really small move and toss an error something like axis lag. theres an abomination of some wiring repair on the x so i'll need to address that. at one point the y axis was "hunting" around for a while. it was a very small movement in the handle.

again, thanks to all for the pointers and many thanks to jerry to getting me pointed in the right direction with some software.

Seve7,
I have been learning Fusion and it does post ok, some minor changes needed at the control but quite easy. Mostly feed speeds if I remember right.
Fusion just sent out a notice that the free version will be very limited as of Oct 2, 2020. I only just started learning.......

thats a bummer, i'm on a student license, but ill probably be able to continue that as i'm heavily involved with a first robotics team. once i get this moving around i'll dial in a post for it, i dont use many canned cycles, so there shouldnt be much to get sorted from the generic anilam post.

It looks like this is a scale driven system vs a rotary encoder, correct? Make sure you have nothing in the backlash settings since if it is linear. Could also be a worn ballscrew, how much slop do you have in it?

Jon

It looks like this is a scale driven system vs a rotary encoder, correct? Make sure you have nothing in the backlash settings since if it is linear. Could also be a worn ballscrew, how much slop do you have in it?

Jon

had a couple of other projects get in the way of this over the winter, but ready to start again on it. im pretty sure it uses rotary encoders and scales, id assume most of the motion is controlled by the encoders, and the scales comp error possibly. it feels tight on the screws tbh but i could put some indicators and a degree wheel on it to actually check.

when i left off with it, i had gotten all axes moving. had to rewire the x servo as it had been hacked up at the servo box pretty badly. it now moves in a similar fashion to the others. got the bios battery replaced, i cut the old one out and then soldered some leads onto the old tabs for it and then have the new one just in a tape ball abomination that works.

also got a vintage windows xp computer with a floppy drive so to get around the usb emulation adapter.

the real intent with this is to get it working to validate the condition of all the anilam parts and then remove them and retro a different control on it. this decision was made to ease file transfers, to have a better motion control, add spindle speed control on a vfd, possibly a 4th axis, and to avoid learning the anilam g-code caveats.

Back