What's new
What's new

Lathe 360 brass tool material and speed and feed reccommendations

Jacob653

Plastic
Hello,

I'm doing a big order with material of 360 brass on a cnc lathe. I have to drill, groove, and tap this material. Could I get some tool recommendations (material of tool/coating) and then the speed (SFM) and feed for the drilling and grooving. I'm also planning on using flood coolant so I can go as fast as possible.

Thank you for your suggestions. Would you reccomend anything besides carbide. Carbide tools are to expensive for this job.

How big is the order? 360 is literally the reference material for machinability, if you gotta use HSS (?!), look up the speeds and feeds for the carbide you can't afford (every maker supplies recommended f/s), and run the same- not even kidding.

On edit- you want tool and coatings recs but not for carbide, so HSS is the only answer, no need for coating or preground anything, just get good stuff it's easy as pie to grind since it's zero rake, run the snot out of it.

You say it is a big job? And carbide too expensive? HSS will do the job and use a flat rake on your drill. Otherwise you will get a brass birds nest. Depending on hole depth of course.

Had a friend that ran a billion piece order in brass. Needed a sharp pencil to get the job and make a profit. No clue what a big job is to you and how much material is being removed per part. Depending on thread size I would look at form tapping the threads.

Carbide tools are to expensive for this job.

Huh? Too expensive? One cheap CNMG insert could literally run a few tons of brass........................................

What tooling do you normally use in your lathe? Just run that.......................

Shiny uncoated HSS drills(or cobalt............. but it might cost too much:rolleyes5:), shiny uncoated taps.............

Back