What's new
What's new

Lathe centre

DJZ

Plastic
Hey,

We have a dual spindle lathe, with most of the parts we make we need to use a centre in the sub spindle and have only been using the main spindle for actual turning, we're now looking at doing part hand off to the sub and using that for second ops, but still need the centre for first ops. I haven't been able to find much info about what people usually do, the operator has suggested maybe making a holder so that we can put the centre into the turret automatically between operations, are there other ways around this?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hey,

We have a dual spindle lathe, with most of the parts we make we need to use a centre in the sub spindle and have only been using the main spindle for actual turning, we're now looking at doing part hand off to the sub and using that for second ops, but still need the centre for first ops. I haven't been able to find much info about what people usually do, the operator has suggested maybe making a holder so that we can put the centre into the turret automatically between operations, are there other ways around this?

Thanks,
Daniel

We run a couple of long thread jobs that require center support. I use a small live center in the sub turret and call it up as a tool and stick it in the end of the long part when it's time to thread. That way I can still use the sub spindle and turret to finish the work on the other end of the part.

We run a couple of long thread jobs that require center support. I use a small live center in the sub turret and call it up as a tool and stick it in the end of the long part when it's time to thread. That way I can still use the sub spindle and turret to finish the work on the other end of the part.

What kind of lathe do you have that has a sub turret? Is it separate from the normal turret? I think I've seen a Variaxis that had a centre in front of the sub spindle that could rotate out of the way when not needed but I haven't seen something like that on a small lathe.

Back