What's new
What's new

Lathe Conversational Control Opinions Please?

micro

Stainless
I have an older 2ax lathe that seems to have finally died (May it rest in pieces). In the last 3 years or so it only saw work making prototypes and small 20 piece runs, sitting off most of the time. It was still very useful and I'd like to replace it with a newer machine. Since I will be using it for one or two pieces at a time, I would love to have something with a good conversational control so I can program right from a print. Having run a shop with 11 Mazaks in a past life, I personally think Mazatrol is the gold standard for conversational and is perfect for what I'm looking for. However I'd really like to broaden my search as most of the Mazaks in my price range are older too and have all seem to be very well used. So, can anyone recommend other lathe conversational controls? Has anyone used Hurco's Winmax?

Thanks

µ

Not sure what type of machine you will find with it but I cannot praise fagor enough for simple 2 axis conversational programming. It really is a breeze when you get into it. I will actually challenge someone to show me that any other conversational control will program a simple profile with a few tapers and rads, a thread, facing and grooving/cut off easier and quicker than a fagor.

it really depends on the lathe and your parts but Okuma IGF is pretty good on simple stuff. The same as mazatrol, the harder the parts the clunkier the conversational.

We have an '06 hurco TM8 lathe. It has been surprisingly reliable. But its not a top of the line machine though thats for sure. The conversational is simple. The only other experience I have is with a samsung lathe that has the fanuc guide-i conversational. I would take the hurco conversational over the guide-i.

We have an '06 hurco TM8 lathe. It has been surprisingly reliable. But its not a top of the line machine though thats for sure. The conversational is simple. The only other experience I have is with a samsung lathe that has the fanuc guide-i conversational. I would take the hurco conversational over the guide-i.

There are a number of low hour, late model TM6 and 8s out there for reasonable prices. I realize they are not a Mazak or Mori but why do you say it's not top of the line?

I thought about a Haas ST10 until I saw a supposedly 20hp Haas machine nearly stall in a stainless part I used to blow through on my Emco.

However I'd really like to broaden my search as most of the Mazaks in my price range are older too and have all seem to be very well used.
Define older. I'm still running a 31 year old Mazak lathe (1986 vintage) at work almost daily and it is still my "goto" machine. :cloud9:

I've been running an '84 Mazak for the past 9 years.. Rock solid reliable... Running
some parts with 2 bearing journals right now, half thou total.. Have to chase her a
thou or 2 as she warms up, but its actually scary how accurate she is..

Repairs over those 9 years.. Belts, $350 spindle encoder, 39 cent o-ring... And coolant
pump seal problems. OH.. and a bearing seized up in a cooling fan..

She's a good old girl, and YES, I do talk to her.

There are a number of low hour, late model TM6 and 8s out there for reasonable prices. I realize they are not a Mazak or Mori but why do you say it's not top of the line?

I thought about a Haas ST10 until I saw a supposedly 20hp Haas machine nearly stall in a stainless part I used to blow through on my Emco.

I can't compare to Haas but I would imagine they are around the same class. We run enough stainless here and don't have issues. But you just have to know your limitations. It can push a 1.5 inch insert drill but not at its full potential. .125 d.o.c. is plenty for it. Can easily hold .001 tolerance. I haven't ran Mazatrol, but if you know conversational I would imagine you could figure it out pretty easily. We've replaced a couple drives in the last couple years. But not many issues really.

If you can find a lower hour, maintained machine for a good deal. And knowing you can get parts and service for it. I wouldn't say not to get it.

The Emco I'm replacing is a 1988 and it's just not worth fixing it anymore. I get an intermittent drive fault that I have spent hours on and don't care to spend any more. Emco doesn't support the machine at all and won't even talk to me on the phone about it. Too old. Baumueller who made the drives likewise doesn't have parts but would be happy to service the board (if possible) for more $ than the entire machine is worth. Better yet they won't guarantee they can fix it or that it will stay fixed if they do. I have to say that I too will attest to Mazak's reliability. In the ~10 years I worked with them the only time they really needed repair was when an operator did something he was paid not to do.

We had a Hurco VM-10 with Winmax and it really is still my favorite control but no experiance with it for turning but would bet its just as sweet. I too have seen a many TM-8 machines priced well but never really looked into them but I doubt they are not any where as robust or powerful as a Mazak or Mori.

We have several Mazak turning centers and for the money I just don't think you could get a better conversational control.

Okuma conversational is top notch.
I don't know anything about Mazak or Hurco.
But if you're used to Mazak, I'd keep looking until you find one in your price range.

I've been spoilt as I had prototrak here first of all and it is great.
When looking at turning centres, I looked at mazatrol, manual guide and shopturn.
The siemens is head and shoulders above manual guide and is more user friendly than mazatrol imo.
we bought 2x turning centres with it and have no regrets.
have a look on youtube for vids on the control.

Hey BARBTER, i currently run prototrak slx, even leaves alot to be desired, maybe you know all the tricks, would i be able to pm you with questions from time to time?

I've been spoilt as I had prototrak here first of all and it is great.
I have recently acquired a Prototrak SLX, it has a few peculiar bugs in the control software. Also some undocumented features involving comp in and comp out. I ended up writing my own post processor for it. The big advantage for Prototrak for me is the factory support for self service.

i have run both Mazak and Okuma, sometimes i have to use the mazak to help program the Okuma.....
So Mazak wins and it is a 1987 QT-20. Okuma is only good for simple parts, its just a copy and paste and change programming.
Mazak you can set up fast....just IMO

Back