What's new
What's new

Lathe electrical noise causing computer to buzz - solutions?

SRT Mike

Stainless
I have an old beast of a lathe (Okuma LC40) with massive motors on it. Whenever the spindle starts or stops or whenever I am rapiding the turret towards/away from the workpiece, I get a buzzing sound through my computer speakers. It sounds like there's a fly stuck in my speaker buzzing and trying to get out. It's obviously just electrical noise during periods of high load.

My computer is on the same electrical panel, but obviously a separate circuit and on the other side of the shop. It's not a deal breaker, just annoying. Is there a cheap and easy fix? I don't want to go adding some kind of transformer, but was thinking some kind of ferrite choke or such I could put on the wires going to the lathe?

Just figured someone else might have dealt with this. I already have a "nice" UPS power supply on the computer with surge protection and all that... but it isn't filtering out the noise. Any solutions?

It can be inductive pick-up over the speaker wires (if the speakers are external to the computer). It can be poor isolation from mains born noise between the chassis and the sound chips on the motherboard. It can be radiated interference directly to any part of the system. It takes a lot of effort to track down where the interference is coming from and what components are being affected. I found that using a USB sound card separate from the computer and electronic drives to drive the amp that feeds the speakers, eliminated noise that I'd been suffering for a number of years, but your mileage probably will vary :bawling:.

You sure that your electric fence charger isn't shorting, and causing issues with your AM reception?

... Seems like that's the last issues with electrical in the speakers that I remember having?

But really - is it "radio" reception?
Or are you playing from LP's/8 tracks?

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you are using powered speakers, make sure the speakers themselves are also plugged into your UPS.

The most common source of speaker noise is a ground loop, having the computer and speakers on same circuit might help. You could also try installing a ground loop isolator (see Ebtech Hum X or equivalent). Most likely you don't have this capability from your computer, but the best solution is balanced audio cables from your computer to your speaker, but most computer audio cards only offer unbalanced output. A google search for "ground loop isolator" will point you to a bunch of resources including youtube videos that discuss this topic.

Back