What's new
What's new

Lathe ID Threading-- Tapping vs Single Point

Pete Deal

Titanium
I have about 300 little swage nuts to make. Material is 303 s/s, .625" od, 7/16-20, class 3, id threads, only about 3 threads long. The customer is very picky. My machine is a Mazak QT-15. I'm torn on weather to single point them or to tap them. I think the operation time will be pretty similar. Not sure yet. There may be a little extra cost to me with the tapping option since I may need to buy a tap holder for a 7/16 tap.

This is not a huge big deal but I seem to debate this often so I thought I would throw it out there to see what some of the masters have to say.
Thanks!

Single point threads don't have material tearing as much and usually look better. Roll forming is always a option as well but a little more tricky

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Thank you all for weighing in. Rick I had not thought about a form tap in this instance for some reason.

So far all of my jobs are relatively small so in addition to time, minimal tooling cost is a big issue.

Being still relatively new to cnc machining I have been super impressed so far how nicely and quickly this machine bangs out single point threads id or od.

Normally form taps are our first choice, but with only three threads I'd say single point is the way to go.

Some customers are "picky" about where their clothes were purchased, some about function, some about looks, some about donuts or pastries. What exactly is your customer picky about?

Roll tapped threads look like dog shit, but they are stronger. See what I mean?

A Tap is going to require 4x the parts thickness to get a .15" long part.

Single point is better. And you'll be surprised how fast you can do it. DOC, RPM, etc.

I have about 300 little swage nuts to make. Material is 303 s/s, .625" od, 7/16-20, class 3, id threads, only about 3 threads long. The customer is very picky. My machine is a Mazak QT-15. I'm torn on weather to single point them or to tap them. I think the operation time will be pretty similar. Not sure yet. There may be a little extra cost to me with the tapping option since I may need to buy a tap holder for a 7/16 tap.

This is not a huge big deal but I seem to debate this often so I thought I would throw it out there to see what some of the masters have to say.
Thanks!

Tough day, yah have to buy a tap-holder?

Meanwhile ... probably takes under a full second for PennEngineering - not the only player, but assuredly a "Master", tier ONE - to make 300, worldwide.

With a 75 - plus year head-start before this item even crossed your mess-kit? Some among us put that resource to advantage as a "design win" and go do something as needs more of OUR brains.

Altering stock PEM nuts might be considered cheating, even if you scrap 50% (one doesn't, usually- sometimes NONE) but it would be faster and cheaper as well as a VERY long way short of "first time" status. DAMHIKT.

One hopes the customer is wealthy and patient as well as picky?

:)

Does this machine have RIGID TAPPING?

If so - you don't need any fancy tap holder, just a 5/16 collet.

If not RIGID, then .....

----------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back