What's new
What's new

Lathe offsets

Steven657

Plastic
Hi
Can anybody go through cnc lathe offsets with me ,I get confused some times with i/d ,o/d wear offsets and when to use negative or positive .and when you use screw cutting tool in a bore what way to move offset to make thread looser,
Many thanks

What happens on a Z offset will vary depending on type of lathe. I have a fixed headstock where if you moved a cut-off tool Z minus the part gets longer, on a sliding headstock Swiss Z minus on a cut-off makes the part shorter. Both are Fanuc, pretty sure all brands are the same.

Adjusting a wear offset - will move into the work. ie: OD smaller, ID bigger.
A wear offset adjustment + will do the opposite.

After disintegrating a 1/4" tap on my newly acquired lathe,I agree those + & - signs can be confusing.
(wow, that sounds like I"m a dick.)what I am trying to say is I'm still calling my son over to help me figure out tool setup on that damn thing.

Adjusting a wear offset - will move into the work. ie: OD smaller, ID bigger.
A wear offset adjustment + will do the opposite.

Hello Booze,
With a typical Turning Centre, were both boring and OD tools are performing on the plus side of the machine's centre line, adjusting the wear offset in a minus direction will result in both the OD and ID being machined smaller. The inverse occurs when the offset is adjusted in the plus direction.

If the tools operate on the minus side of centre line, then a minus offset adjustment will increase the size of the OD and ID; vice versa if the offset is adjusted in the plus direction.

Regards,

Bill

On most controllers there is a calculator function so if you want an ID larger you would "add" to the offset. If you want an OD smaller you would "subtract." Most controls have a "measure" function so the machine can calculate proper lathe/distance.

Back