What's new
What's new

Lathe Rigid Tapping

ljeremy578

Plastic
Can anyone recommend a good holder for rigid tapping in a lathe? I am going to do alot more tapping and need to good tool life.

I tap 2" 11 1/2 pipe thread in my lathe. Stick the end of the tap in the bored tapered hole. Live center in the end. Crescent wrench on the flats on the tap with the wrench end on the cross slide on a leather welding glove. Lathe in low gear. Lube the heck out of it and go. Bump on and off. Put slight pressure on the tail stock while starting, after a few threads it will feed itself. Continue lubing and bumping on and off. Has worked for me. Good luck.

I tap 2" 11 1/2 pipe thread in my lathe. Stick the end of the tap in the bored tapered hole. Live center in the end. Crescent wrench on the flats on the tap with the wrench end on the cross slide on a leather welding glove. Lathe in low gear. Lube the heck out of it and go. Bump on and off. Put slight pressure on the tail stock while starting, after a few threads it will feed itself. Continue lubing and bumping on and off. Has worked for me. Good luck.

Hardly a method that will lend itself well to a CNC application.

Greetings,

GenSwiss stocks some pretty nice floating tap collets that fit various sizes of ER.
( Floating Tapping Collets for CNC Machines - GenSwiss )
I've used the ER-20 sizes for years with great success.
I've been told (but don't do it myself) that the best way to use them is to underpitch the thread pitch very slightly (0.03120 instead of 0.03125 for 32 pitch for example) That causes them to expand on the way in, and retract on the way out, to let the tap float its own pitch.
I didn't know that to start, and got great results with just doing the pitch accurately, so I can't see any reason to change. But I pass along the knowledge anyway.

FWIW
Brian

Greetings,

GenSwiss stocks some pretty nice floating tap collets that fit various sizes of ER.
( Floating Tapping Collets for CNC Machines - GenSwiss )
I've used the ER-20 sizes for years with great success.
I've been told (but don't do it myself) that the best way to use them is to underpitch the thread pitch very slightly (0.03120 instead of 0.03125 for 32 pitch for example) That causes them to expand on the way in, and retract on the way out, to let the tap float its own pitch.
I didn't know that to start, and got great results with just doing the pitch accurately, so I can't see any reason to change. But I pass along the knowledge anyway.

FWIW
Brian

Pretty sure using a floating holder is contraindicated for rigid tapping. At least, on a machine that's in good shape.

Unless that is a very new machine,and something has changed. Most lathes do not "rigid" tap with the lathe spindles. If you want to rigid tap on-center you will have to use an axial driven tool.

If you must use the lathe spindle you will have to use a tension compression type holder. Just like the good ole days.

I’ve run quite a few jobs tapping on center with the main spindle. No tension/compression holder required. 5yo Doosan Lynx.

Unless that is a very new machine,and something has changed. Most lathes do not "rigid" tap with the lathe spindles. If you want to rigid tap on-center you will have to use an axial driven tool.

If you must use the lathe spindle you will have to use a tension compression type holder. Just like the good ole days.

Ummm we've been Rigid Tapping in our CNC lathes since 2000.

As to holders I use ER-32 Collets.

I originally purchased some funky Tap holders with square drives that do not slip...kinda need them for bigger taps, say over the 1/2-13 in tougher materials. However under that the ER's are more then fine and its nice if they give some letting you know something is off instead of a crunching noise.

IF I want more tool life and if alignment is not 100% I will use a Tension/Compression holder like the ones Mari-Tool sells...also ER-32 Collet. Down side is a dull tap may take a hair longer to engage and that screws with your depth some.

With many controls, rigid tapping with the main spindle of a lathe has been around for over 25 years. Whether or not the ability is spec'd and implemented though is at the machine builders choice.

Hello, I work for Doosan. Like almost all other machine makes, you should not need any special collets or holders for rigid tapping. Unless maybe for very large taps. We do all of our rigid tapping with standard ER collets mostly.
If you need any other help with your machine, contact us here at the New Jersey office. 973-618-2500

Paul

For rigid tapping on the Doosan, a standard collet chuck and collet should suffice. Tension/Compression holders really only factor into float tapping.
Remember that the syntax for tapping is important:

M5 P11 (main spindle) or P13 for sub, P12 for live tool
G0 G54 G99 T0303
X0 Z.25
G97 S250 M29
G84 Z-1. F.05
G80 Z2.
G28 U0
etc

To calculate thread lead "F" value = In IPR mode (G99) - 1/# of threads. In IPM (G98) mode it's Rpm/#of threads.

Back