Lathe still down! - Page 6
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    . . . pshaw . .. I MADE my first oscilloscope when I was in my teens VCR97 WW2 radar tube and EF50 valves . . . youngsters . . . .!

I have no clue what that means, but it sure sounds impressive and that the rest of y'all just got your assets handed to you!

---------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

2. Likes doug925, CBlair, adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wyoming
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wheels17 View Post
    Still have my old Heathkit... So new it actually has transistors.
    OT, but:

Although my brother's an electronics engineer with at least one patent, what I personally know about electronics you could fit on the head of a pin. Back in the fifties he and I went to a sci-fi movie called The Angry Red Planet. A camera shot of the spaceships's control room lingered long enough on the wall of gear that he spotted the Heathkit logo in the lower right...he burst out laughing and of course nobody in the audience understood why.

4. Likes Ox, Garwood, CBlair, adama liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OK, whatever, I shouldn't have asked I guess.

Orders are backed up months, I know that.

I can't seem to get the machine fixed, and no one seems to acknowledge that they also don't know what is likely wrong.

Today I talked with a very intelligent guy who thinks someone replaced my spindle drive with one from a non-lathe, says the model number is wrong. He said he is going to look into the builder's specifications for what drive they installed.

They say a drowning man will clutch at a straw, I hope what he's telling me leads to a life raft.

I should know soon.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I re-read the posts, I think I misunderstood the levity. Nothing seems funny to me these days.
    I do know most of you tried to help, and I appreciate it.
    My repairman read some suggestions here and said the info was over his head, for sure it's way over mine. The chip change didn't work and now I'm hoping the new set of eyes on this can find the problem. The source of my depression is I don't know how much of all this poking around is going to cost my retirement savings, which are about wiped out now. We were hoping to move to Idaho and leave the shop running for our sustenance, but finances are getting real thin now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by partsproduction View Post
    The source of my depression is I don't know how much of all this poking around is going to cost my retirement savings,

Sorry do i have this correct, your going to pay them for not fixing the machine? Seriously? They even have the cheek to charge you?

What happened to your insurance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem you now have is the machine is far removed from the original fault. Because 2 other people have "worked" on it, because random parts and parameters have been changed this is now going to need someone that damn near knows the machine inside out and could more or less build one from a bucket of bits.

On the stuff i work on i have frequently gone in behind other's that have failed miserably to fix things. You end up spending way longer fixing what they did than you do normally fixing the original problem. So called refurbished parts add even more random variables to the mix.

At this point with work backing up, if you can not find someone that is knowledgeable enough to do this, IMHO you seriously need to be looking at swapping the machine out. One that you can get competent support on locally.

If repairs have truly approached machine value and still unable to fix, its probably time to sit down with the insurance guy and find out if your insurance covers writing the machine off as irreparable do to damage from the original power failure. You will probably need some written support info from your repair guy, copies of bills etc, i have done this before for a customer with a machines damaged in flooding do to a simple burst pipe over the weekend. In your case if you can prove the spreader incident as the root cause of the problem and your insurance covers writting it off, you could well be ahead here and at least heading in a direction that gets you running again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you need a working CNC lathe to run your business and it's been down for 6mo, it's time to cut bait and sign a lease on a new machine pronto. If things really are as dire as you say they are, this machine is a boat anchor and it's pulling your business down. Call the insurance company, tell them the situation and get the payment, call a reputable MTS locally and get an on-floor machine delivered asap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Your lathe is just the sort of thing I like to acquire and work on at my leisure - I'm retired and this is the sort of thing I do. I rescue machines in good physical condition, teach myself their foibles, and spend my days pouring over them. Usually they are destined for scrap as the owner has given up on repairs. I get there in the end but it can take many months !

Ship it over to me

11. Likes cameraman, Ox liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Colorado
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewmawson View Post
    Your lathe is just the sort of thing I like to acquire and work on at my leisure - I'm retired and this is the sort of thing I do. I rescue machines in good physical condition, teach myself their foibles, and spend my days pouring over them. Usually they are destined for scrap as the owner has given up on repairs. I get there in the end but it can take many months !

Ship it over to me
    I was kinda thinking the same thing...

In OP's case;

It seems that someone with a deep knowledge of electronics / electronic / electrical fault finding is needed in this case... (+ real schematics).

However having someone that really knows the Fanuc control and the machine AND has a very deep knowledge of electronics is kinda rare... They're out there.

Normally I'd say the deep electronics "Nerd" (in a good way) needs to work with the guy that knows this Fanuc control inside and out and knows serious repair. The Nerd is to find subsystem faults from individual components and check insulation / Meggering and other electrical faults.

At this stage it's kind of a two person job... ( working together ).

AND still at the back of my mind there is the specter of someone messing around with a control at a very deep and squirrelly level (which some have already alluded to) where it is almost a mathematically intractable problem to unscramble. In terms of the laws of combinatorics , randomly changing deep parameters or not knowing what some one else did to needlessly bugger something up can render a machine essentially unfixable unless you go for a complete tear down.

Sorry partsproduction I really feel for you...

Sh*t happens, always have a back up plan so maybe this bad happenstance may enable you to develop a more bullet proof / less fragile plan to have a more worry free retirement.

Good Luck :thumbsup:

__________________________________________________ _____________________________

Like some have said throwing good money after bad and throwing more $ at the problem may not serve. (Bummer).

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ten minutes ago my original repairman, the guy who came with the machine so long ago, came to me shouting "It's Working!!!".

Sorry to do this but I'm not going to discuss the reason for all this until some legal/financial questions have been answered, when the dust is settled I'll come back and explain.

Thanks to all of you, to those who can receive it I reference Romans 8:28, and before the day ends parts will again be dropping into the box.

I'm grateful! Thankful!
    parts

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

...... Sorry to do this but I'm not going to discuss the reason for all this until some legal/financial questions have been answered, when the dust is settled I'll come back and explain.....
    I'm looking forward to hearing that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spring time in Oregon...
    How long can it possibly take to purge the air of dust?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
    Ox

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ten minutes ago my original repairman, the guy who came with the machine so long ago, came to me shouting "It's Working!!!".
    Thats Awsum. bet thats a huge load off.

17. Likes Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As one of those who cast aspersions about your guy, please let him know that I'm happy to be eating my words!

I too am eager to hear the whole story.

19. Likes CBlair, Matt_Maguire liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Where in Idaho?

This post has been a good read. Glad your dude came through and won.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Oregon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As one of those who cast aspersions about your guy,
    He admits he was way over his head, but in 20 years it's the first time he's ever had much problem with either of my larger CNC lathes. Lest the other guy be reading this and not see credit due, John (Who's last name escapes me) at TIE talked the problem over with my tech and sent the replacement chip.
    So there it is, the spindle drive had the wrong chip in it, it wasn't for a lathe. The "how" of that is what I'm not sure of, but I know the lathe didn't come with it. There ya go guys. A list of things that were replaced include wires from the controller to the motor, the motor was rebuilt, a second set of input power wires were run, several other main components were exchanged, even the encoder.

It's true that the lathe doesn't owe me anything, it didn't fail from use, still is capable of tenths and often runs 12 or more hours a day, in fact I've wondered why people in this forum talk up shops that replace machine after 7 or 10 years. That said, it will be a while before our retirement fund is built back up.

Where in Idaho?
    I like to fly, and shoot, oregon is full of young voters who think both are immoral and should be outlawed. The folks I've met in Idaho haven't gotten there yet. We hope to find a place just off the Snake river so we can get my wife back with her relatives for visits with a 4 hour flight.

I also hope I can set up a small shop, either to supplement our income or restore old machine tools for the pleasure of it. I'd love also to teach young people the joys of taking an idea to a computer, draw it up, take it to a lathe and mill and turn the idea into something they can be proud of for the rest of their lives. Schools have stopped teaching metal working and that's a tragedy.

22. Likes Cycle1000, Ox liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

So there it is, the spindle drive had the wrong chip in it, it wasn't for a lathe.
    In 30 plus years in the service capper, that's the first time I've heard of that. That wasn't the cause. A spindle drive / servo motor wouldn't have a clue what its driving. Mill / Lathe / Concrete mill. Someone is bullshitting you.

Short of changing the very few available bridges. No one ever re-chips a Fanuc drive.

You never once mention a new chip coming from TIA?

Whats the chances, your bloke actually re-instated the original parameters, just before he came running in screaming its working?

24. Likes Vancbiker, triumph406 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wish I could "like" this more than just once..
    Gary
    He admits he was way over his head, but in 20 years it's the first time he's ever had much problem with either of my larger CNC lathes. Lest the other guy be reading this and not see credit due, John (Who's last name escapes me) at TIE talked the problem over with my tech and sent the replacement chip.
    So there it is, the spindle drive had the wrong chip in it, it wasn't for a lathe. The "how" of that is what I'm not sure of, but I know the lathe didn't come with it. There ya go guys. A list of things that were replaced include wires from the controller to the motor, the motor was rebuilt, a second set of input power wires were run, several other main components were exchanged, even the encoder.

It's true that the lathe doesn't owe me anything, it didn't fail from use, still is capable of tenths and often runs 12 or more hours a day, in fact I've wondered why people in this forum talk up shops that replace machine after 7 or 10 years. That said, it will be a while before our retirement fund is built back up.

I like to fly, and shoot, oregon is full of young voters who think both are immoral and should be outlawed. The folks I've met in Idaho haven't gotten there yet. We hope to find a place just off the Snake river so we can get my wife back with her relatives for visits with a 4 hour flight.

I also hope I can set up a small shop, either to supplement our income or restore old machine tools for the pleasure of it. I'd love also to teach young people the joys of taking an idea to a computer, draw it up, take it to a lathe and mill and turn the idea into something they can be proud of for the rest of their lives. Schools have stopped teaching metal working and that's a tragedy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Somewhere I must have missed it, was this drive replaced during your repairs? A power flux wouldnt have caused a chip to change. So glad to see you have it working again. In the Sherlock Holmes series it is stated that the answer is always elementary once you know it.

Charles

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by machtool View Post
    In 30 plus years in the service capper, that's the first time I've heard of that. That wasn't the cause. A spindle drive / servo motor wouldn't have a clue what its driving. Mill / Lathe / Concrete mill. Someone is bullshitting you.

Short of changing the very few available bridges. No one ever re-chips a Fanuc drive......
    I once helped figure out an issue with an older Fanuc AC spindle drive where the ROM was incorrect. The user had bought the board off ebay and installed it not realizing that while the boards were interchangeable, the ROM was specific to motor type.