What's new
What's new

Lathe threading, conversation vs Goode. Difficulty?

Higgins909

Aluminum
I’ve been trying to learn gcode and went to try and learn how to thread a npt or any thread for that matter and got bit in the rear. Thought I knew where all the info was, that I would need to program it, turns out I don’t know anything...

Just wanted to ask if it is considerably easier to program threads on say mazatrol compared to gcode.

Thanks,
Higgins909

IME, tapered threads suck regardless of if you're using CAM or a pad of paper and always require some playing with to get the numbers where they need to be. As long as you have the pitch correct and the angle you're halfway there.

tapered threads are easy in G code ... what control are you using ? some need old one line code ,, some want two line code and some like Haas use there own spin off of one line code ....

look up what code your control wants to read and then spend some time reading up on it ,, first time you write it your going to find a few gray hairs but after you get how it works its VARY simple to write ..

Just wanted to ask if it is considerably easier to program threads on say mazatrol compared to gcode.

Mazatrol is super easy to program straight threads--you just tell the machine the nominal OD of the thread, the thread lead, start Z point and end Z point.

Pipe threads are a bit trickier to get programmed correctly as the X dimensions are not easily found. Once you get the X points programmed, the rest is the same as a straight thread. Again with Mazatrol, you program the OD thread values even if working with ID threads.

Mazatrol pipe threads are easy to program . . . pick a nominal start diameter (even add 0.100" to the diameter if not sure). Apply 3/4" per foot taper to the o.d. (same taper angle for all npt threads) to the length of thread you need. The rest is done by adjusting the tool offset. A little experimenting on the first thread to find the correct offset, and then just cut threads!

Back