What's new
What's new

Lathe Tool Block Adjustable

athack

Stainless
Hello All,

I am looking for a tool block or a adjusting sleeve or something of that nature that will let me adjust the centerline of the tools in a turret. I know about the old style Warner Swasey type that have 4 adjusting screw and locking screws. I would think that there most be something on the market to aid in this. Even after a teck has been here to re-align the machine things are just not right.

I have found this video. Nine9 Center Hight Adjust Sleeve - YouTube but can't seem to find a place to buy. There must be something already on the market.

Please help and Thank You!

Float the tools that you can, and you "can" a lot more than folks think.

"Perfection" is the enemy of good enough." Frank Reagan

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Is your turret unable to be re-aligned? Seems to me that buying and fussing about with adjustable holders is a band-aid sort of work around to the root problem.

Float the tools that you can, and you "can" a lot more than folks think.

"Perfection" is the enemy of good enough." Frank Reagan

---------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Ox,

Thanks, yes we float a lot of tools. This need to be rigid. Hollow Milling any where from 1" long to 6" long and removing about .500" material at once.

Is your turret unable to be re-aligned? Seems to me that buying and fussing about with adjustable holders is a band-aid sort of work around to the root problem.

Vancbike,

I know but the cost to re-align each time one of the guys makes a mistake is too much. Sometimes there just isn't time and a band aid has to get you through the job.

If you are looking to get just the one tool on center, then why not just bore a bushing in place and be done with it.
And by bore - that could mean spot/drill/ream if the bore is too long to "bore" easily.

That would accommodate any "B" axis mis-alignment as well, that those other toys won't address.
And with a hollow mill, that could be a concern, as you may have much contact surface - depending if HSS blades or inserts.

FWIW - I have not found the insert types to be overly finicky about centerline.
You could spin the insert in the direction of the top of the apex, and adjust the rest out with X offset.
Beyond that - you are adjusting the rollers up individually anyhow... I don't know how the tool would ever know the difference.
[box tool]

Now - if you are running a multi/HSS -blade tool, then - you prolly want it to be close.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
You could roll your own holder that is adjustable as well.

Just bore a holder - intentionally .01 or even .02 out of center.
Then you can spin it in the holder between 1 and 5 O'clock and comp X until you have what you want.
The you can re-use it as required.

Might be a good idea to put a mark at the apex of eccentricity to aid visual at set-up.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you are looking to get just the one tool on center, then why not just bore a bushing in place and be done with it.
And by bore - that could mean spot/drill/ream if the bore is too long to "bore" easily.

That would accommodate any "B" axis mis-alignment as well, that those other toys won't address.
And with a hollow mill, that could be a concern, as you may have much contact surface - depending if HSS blades or inserts.

FWIW - I have not found the insert types to be overly finicky about centerline.
You could spin the insert in the direction of the top of the apex, and adjust the rest out with X offset.
Beyond that - you are adjusting the rollers up individually anyhow... I don't know how the tool would ever know the difference.
[box tool]

Now - if you are running a multi/HSS -blade tool, then - you prolly want it to be close.

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Running 3 or 4 blade Gennesse hollow mills. Some blades are carbide tipped and some are carbide inserts. I may try the bore a bushing, that's a good idea. The center line is critical because if it's off the part come out with a lot of taper. Some blanks are .300 diameter and 6" long.

Sounds like you may know of a different type of hollow mill. Care to share?

Well, it's really called a "box tool".
2 rollers and insert.

Box Tools for Boyar-Schultz SMT Tooling and Parts

3390@2x.jpg

Of course - just puting it in a Swiss solves much of your trouble, but if the volume aint there, then the box tool is a good second choice.

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

There are 2 styles available:

A) Where the rollers run on the parent material.
B) Where the roller run on the turned diameter.

"A" is easier to setup, but host bar run-out could cause trouble.
Also - size will follow fluctuations in host parent size.

"B" can be more daffycult to get your process down, as you need to get a pre-turned surface to get started on.
Fluctuations in the size of the "pre-turn" can cause "hunting" in size for a while as until it stabilizes.

BUT- once dialed in - can run really well, and "B" produces nice/burnished surface finishes - since the surface actually IS burnishes with the rolls.

The unit shown is a rigid unit, but newer designs offer a "pivot out" insert that is designed not to leave drag marks on the way back off.
One trick to aiding that is to use a pull-off code like:
G1 U-.005 Z.1 F300. S100

Or a positive U value - depending on where the insert is oriented in the holder.
This will keep the part pressure on the rollers on the way out, and if there is any run-out, it won't leave any half-barber poles on the end of the part.

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Regarding the Nine9 stuff, I would contact the US importer Everede here: index.html and have them put you in contact with a distributor. The 2018 Nine9 catalog still shows the center height adjusting sleeve on page 38 so you should be able to get it. catalog link

I have a Nine9 spot drill which I love but haven't tried any of their other stuff.

Ox,

Thanks for information I am familiar with the Boyar Schultz box tools. I even have quotes for them on hand. Not sure why we did not buy some. I think the insert style available would not let use remove enough material in 1 pass.

Regarding the Nine9 stuff, I would contact the US importer Everede here: index.html and have them put you in contact with a distributor. The 2018 Nine9 catalog still shows the center height adjusting sleeve on page 38 so you should be able to get it. catalog link

I have a Nine9 spot drill which I love but haven't tried any of their other stuff.

Carbonbl,

Thank you very helpful.

Ox,

Thanks for information I am familiar with the Boyar Schultz box tools. I even have quotes for them on hand. Not sure why we did not buy some. I think the insert style available would not let use remove enough material in 1 pass.

I have used mine to take 5/8 down to 1/4" in one pass.
I don't know what the limits are?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I have used mine to take 5/8 down to 1/4" in one pass.
I don't know what the limits are?

------------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I would say torque capability of the un turned shaft would be the limit.

I would say torque capability of the un turned shaft would be the limit.

Mmmmmmmm ....... I don't think so....

At least not exactly....

The only strength required for the unturned is enough to support the rollers, which is right up against the parent bar.

Form tooling is a completely different deal where torque does actually come into play.

-------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Back