Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Tennessee
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Check with Kennametal. They will offer a tooling voucher allowing you to get quite a bit (20% of machine value I believe) for half off. I like their Beyond Evolution for cutoff, and Kennametal turning tools are good bang for your buck, especially the newer D clamp. And the Top Notch system is versatile, allowing you one turret spot to cover most turning and grooving.

Collets and collet chucks I would use Maritool every time, carbide boring bars as well. Easily the best money we've spent. Definitely don't skimp on having a selection of collets.

Dual or twin ID holders can be handy but chuck clearance can quickly become an issue, even if using regular holders depending on how the turret is sized to the chuck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

try to find thru coolant for your cnmg,like Seco's jetstream or LMT"point blank"direct flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bluejeep View Post
    try to find thru coolant for your cnmg,like Seco's jetstream or LMT"point blank"direct flow.
    Dorian's Jet Stream tools are another good alternative.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Johnhudson View Post
    I got a Mori SL-25 lathe on the way.
    Any advice on turning holders
    Would be appreciated.
    Both turning and drilling.

Thanks in advance.
    shars.com - Indexable Cutting Tools
    Cheap but decent holders

Country
    SOUTH AFRICA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with the guys on the Tang Grip from Iscar for parting. If you want you could look for the 35mm blade that has 4 cutting slots. So if you smoke one pocket at least you still have 3 more. Only thing here is if you mess it up properly then you land up with an entire side of a blade that you cannot use. If you are not parting too long then you can even cut the blade in half if there is still enough space for you to clamp it properly. Once you messed up one end from wear just take the other half out of your tool storage and load it up.

Then I also vary between WNMG/CNMG/VNMG OD tools. CNMG for the beefier machines and WNMG for the smaller one's. As mentioned here whether you go CNMG/WNMG don't worry too much on the holder brand itself. The insert is where the magic is. And on those two style insert you can find LOADS of flavors. I run holders from cheapie Chinese to Widia to Iscar to Kennametal to Mitsubishi etc etc. It is whatever was on special or whichever one I could get in a rush. Insert wise on those styles my personal favorite would be Walter... Titex. I used to run Iscar IC907 for stainless but after trying out Walter it is noght and day difference. So for specific applications Walter is my go to but on random things I also just run whatever I have (Iscar/Mitsubishi/Sandvik/Cheapie stuff that does well bang for buck/etc etc). I prefer the VNMG over a DNMG because of the ability to get a sharper angle when going behind a shoulder.

Then for face grooving, if you are going to be doing some, my go-to is Iscar Heli that runs the Grip style inserts. I prefer the solid holders over the blades but the blades are more versatile to switch out. Either look for a 90 deg block for blades or keep a pocket open for solid holders.

You might want to look at a profiling style holder. I use the Iscar Heli range (also a GRIP insert) because you get it in either full radius or square insert. I even use it for smaller parting on two of my machines. Nice versatile holder, only thing is the inserts are starting to get a bit pricey over here so I need to do a bit of research on other manufacturers equivalent.

Then on threading I always used to use Iscar... Till I found Vardex and Mitsubishi threading inserts. I ran a part recently with a 2.5mm form insert (OD) and guys were running night shift. I was using a Mitsubishi insert and ran out of them so loaded up some Iscar inserts on the two machines... Same program, same parts, and the Iscar inserts chattered like crazy, left a horrible finish and didn't let the chip flow. Loaded up a Vargus insert and it was back to normal. Go Mitsubishi inserts in the next day and they ran like a dream again.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Wow,
    Thanks guy's.
    Great info for me to digest.

I have no immediate jobs scheduled
    For the machine just looking for some general tooling to get me going.
    At my day job I use kennametal inserts, Iscar part off and lay down capping threading tools.
    Thanks again to all who replied.