What's new
What's new

lb10 curvic alignment droops after tool change

landslide

Aluminum
I'm trying to align an old okuma Lb10.

after my initial alignment it started drilling nasty holes so I checked and there was an obvious misalignment.

I realigned the drill as it was pointing down slightly. tested a hole and re-ran the program to find that the drill was off centre again.

I redid the alignment and triple checked through the process that it was still aligned after tightening the coupling. After cycling the tool change and sure enough the drill had drooped out of alignment after the tool change.

Can anyone offer advice on what might be happening?

FYI it's not a Curvic coupling it's a Hirth Coupling.

The Hirth is probably worn, and needs to be replaced. LB10 is not a new Machine. But you can check for yourself with some feeler gage.

One of the benefits of a Hirth or Curvic, is that you can Theoretically take up any wear because of the Tooth design as 60º Teeth, you can tighten them together until they seat. But if the wear is extensive and the Fretting is too bad then you just need to replace the whole Coupling. There is a possibility that the Fixed side of the Hirth is really fucked up, as a result of traumatic crashes, so the Bolt holes are wasted too.

Are the Taper pins in there?

Robert

thanks rob.

I think my procedure was incorrect. I went back and tried again I figured out I was removing the hydraulic clamping force and aligning to the then floating tool drum. when the hydraulics returned it pulled it out of alignment. I changed my procedure and it stayed aligned after a few tool changes.

the drill is still deflecting on entry so there may be another alignment that is out of wack.

Back