What's new
What's new

HELP! Fanuc 0T control Manual Reference Return?

MaintenanceMan!

Plastic
HELP!
I've got a old Mori Seiki SL-25 with the Fanuc 0T control I deleted all Parameters when I was working on replacing a RS232 chip on the memory board. I've got all the parameters put back into the machine but now I am having issues with setting the home position. According to my manual it looks like I need to do a Manual Reference Return. Does anyone have any idea of how to do this? This machine does have absolute pulse coders on both X and Y axis.

I think this may be called a "dogless zero return?" I remember finding a good procedure by searching for that on my old Sharp VMC.

On my 0T-C machine:

Press and hold P-CAN while powering up.

Jog off off limits.

Press JOG button, then HOME button.

Press and hold +X jog button until X stop moving. ( I have heard that Mori inverted X at some point in time.)

Press and hold +Z jog button until Z stops moving.

YMMV.

On my 0T-C machine:

Press and hold P-CAN while powering up.

Jog off off limits.

Press JOG button, then HOME button.

Press and hold +X jog button until X stop moving. ( I have heard that Mori inverted X at some point in time.)

Press and hold +Z jog button until Z stops moving.

YMMV.

IIRC that will work for a machine with decel switches, but if it doesn't have a homing switch it will just keep going and hit the OT switch if it has one.

I have several machines with absolute encoders but they have homing switches and need to be homed every time they are powered up, to be honest I really don't understand what the point of having an absolute encoder is if it's going to be set up in this manner.

The OP needs to indicate if the machine has decel switches.

If the machine doesn't know where "home" is, and you do a "Cancel-P" make sure the rapid is WAY down. Just in case.
If the machine has trip dogs (my old Mori SL-3 does) make sure they're not gummed up and stuck.
If it doesn't have trip dogs, I think Mori has a procedure to rest home position. I'd give 'em a call.

Thank you all for the input,
this machine does have the decal switches. I will try the procedure that alphonso posted and see what happens. I have tried several different procedures that include changing parameter 22 with no luck. I haven't heard of this procedure yet so I hope that it works!
If it doesn't I plan to give Mori a call and hope they can assist.

Also, when I do these procedures should I set all grid shift parameters to zero? I would assume so.

Also, when I do these procedures should I set all grid shift parameters to zero? I would assume so.

I think the P-CAN negates the grid shift. Least ways, I have never messed with grid shift when machine loses it position.

FWIW, in normal start up of my machine, all the steps I listed EXCEPT for P-CAN are required.

Alright, so I've tried this method and I can get it to home. The only problem I am having is that I'm getting a EX999 Sequence Error. Is this possibly due to the order in which I home the X and Y axis?

The boss man is pulling me off this project temporally but hoping to get back to it soon with a little more information gathered.

Alright, so I've tried this method and I can get it to home. The only problem I am having is that I'm getting a EX999 Sequence Error. Is this possibly due to the order in which I home the X and Y axis?

The boss man is pulling me off this project temporally but hoping to get back to it soon with a little more information gathered.

X and Y???????

Home X first then Z.

Alright so I have tried changing the last 2 bits of parameter 22 from 1 to zero, then I homed the X and the Z. Right when I got the Z axis to home position the same alarm ex999 sequence program error came up.
I did try homing the machine in the Z axis first and it also came up with the ex999 sequence program error.

Anyone have any ideas???

I ended up digging through the ladder diagram to see what was the source of the alarm. What I found was odd but it worked, I found that I had to index the turret to get the alarm to go away. Its like the machine didn't know where the turret was until it was indexed.

Now I am working on shifting the home position, originally we had about 10" of travel off of centerline and now we only have about 7". So it will hit the soft limit in the X+ direction before it used to but it doesn't hit a soft limit in the X- direction? Would this be when the "Grid Shift" parameters should be adjusted?

Sounds to me like your soft limits are set wrong. I have a machine that was lacking a couple inches of turning diameter because at some point the parameters must have been lost and loaded from the incorrect machine. The X on that machine homes 2" shy of where the limit is/should be.

As far as I know grid shift can only adjust up to 1 encoder revolution, beyond that the decel switch needs to be moved. On a lathe it often doesn't matter where home actually is as long as your offsets reconcile it's location. Many mills use home for tool changes, pallet changes, exc or G30 is referenced from home.

Back