What's new
What's new

Least material to hold w/Talongrips?

Mud

Diamond
I thought this was discussed previously here but I can't find it. I'm making some parts that finish at .250" thick from 1018 CRS bar. I bought 5/16 thick material, thinking I could hold one side in talon grips, skim .010 off the top, profile mill another .250 down the side leaving .045 - .050 on the bottom to remove in a 2nd op. I just double checked my talongrip jaws and the grips stick up about .080 which won't clear. Has anyone here found gripping on less material to work? How little have you held by successfully? These are small parts, will be profiled with a 3/8 EM, not trying to set a record for speed, probably 100 parts or so. 2 parts at a time, approx 2" diameter, from 5/16 X 2.5" material,

right now im hogging a big piece of 7075 aluminum holding onto .059 stock. Heavy cutting and its doing just fine. You need to make sure there is no fillet or chamfer on the edge of the stock where it is clamping. I would not want to hold on to anything less than 0.05 stock no matter what type of machining youre doing with the Talon Grips, but you could prob get a away with 0.04

If the part specs would allow for it, you could go over the profile after flipping and then chamfer deep enough around the profile to reach the mismatch line. So a .01” chamfer would give you an extra .01” to hold on to with the talons...

Just put some shims under the material and test it, I think it will be fine. As with others, my only problems have been when the rad on the material is too big.

0.050" is the lowest I've gone and that is with shim stock under the material to hold it up in place. I had to square that part because there was too big of a radius on the raw extrusion to grip.

I regularly held aluminum to be faced with talon grips and pitbulls with only .040", and I made sure that stock had no radius where I was clamping it. Only had issues if someone tightened up the pitbulls too much. Or didn't tighten them at all. Or didn't clean the chips out, or put parts in with huge raised gouges in them. I worked with idiots, come to think of it....

I've found with the Talons I get better results if I clamp hard, then release, then reclamp.

Back