What's new
What's new

lets talk 208-240 rotary converter voltage

Embrey

Cast Iron
so. i havent ever thought about this until recently after checking voltage again and being a touch more knowledgeable than i was years ago when i installed a RPC for my fanuc mill. i just put in a lathe and the transformer gives the wiring option of 210,220,230,240,and then 460-480. so i wanted to make sure to be mostly correct there, and checked it again. averaging about 240-245 most days here. now, from what ive seen ,thats a bit high for what you want to see. so ,my question is, on my mill, (which is a 94 excel 510,fanuc)should i be looking into a transformer to reduce the voltage a bit? FYI, its been running this way just fine for probably 6 years now.

If you're talking about the transformer that's probably sitting on the floor of your magnetics cabinet, that's simply for control voltages and should be connected to whatever you average input voltage is.

If you're talking about a transformer your 3 phase goes to at or before the input of the machine, then why not tie it to the voltage you have? In a sense meaning... what's the problem here?

If your machine has been running fine for that long, leaving well enough alone doesn't sound all that bad. If the over voltage is really bugging you, I have a pair of easily wired in bucking transformers that will do the trick. PM me if at all interested.

Ha... or in short, just what johansen said. :-)

i agree. dont fix it if it aint broke. the lathe i bought has taps. and im fine with that. my mill does NOT. thats the one that concerns me. if its fine, then im fine with it. i just dont want to cause any damage over the long term

Your manual will give you the voltage range acceptable. Usually the wild (generated) leg is higher than the other two; may need attention. Also, I've read in at least one place that the wild leg has a phase lag compared to the other two, am still researching that.

Why are you running an X at all?

I will agree that there can be some benefit to mixing the legs up ahead of time to pull a high leg down, but that's seldom an issue really.... as long as you are not pulling off of that leg for single phase juice.

I've been running 240 for >30 years. Not seen any issues with that yet.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Why are you running an X at all?

I will agree that there can be some benefit to mixing the legs up ahead of time to pull a high leg down, but that's seldom an issue really.... as long as you are not pulling off of that leg for single phase juice.

I've been running 240 for >30 years. Not seen any issues with that yet.

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

im not. ive just read several things pertaining to voltage begin too high. not sure if there was any truth to that. my gut says its fine. but i was just curious if it was an issue or not. sounds like im fine . lol

For what its worth I proved competent at creating over voltage alarms on a Fanuc 10M with 252v house legs and a 260v generated leg, control transformer adjusted to 240 (highest available). I installed a 15kva delta wye transformer between the phase converter and the machine and its been smooth sailing since. It is a 240 to 208 transformer that I tapped for 220v-225v output. About $900 from Federal Pacific.

FYI
If you do some looking around you well soon find out the power in the US is set at standard 240V ... there is no standard of 208v or 220V in the US .

Japan has a standard of 200V and most of there machines are rated at =/- 10% ,, so you could come up with a figure of 220V , but if you running a machine on 240V and have been doing so for years leave it alone ,,

FYI
If you do some looking around you well soon find out the power in the US is set at standard 240V ... there is no standard of 208v or 220V in the US .

Japan has a standard of 200V and most of there machines are rated at =/- 10% ,, so you could come up with a figure of 220V , but if you running a machine on 240V and have been doing so for years leave it alone ,,

Southern California is almost all 208.

Back