What's new
What's new

Leveling and tramming small VMC

metalmadness

Hot Rolled
Hey all...I hope you can help me. I’m trying to level and tram my Hurco VM10i VMC. It has 6 leveling feet...2 front, 2 back, and 2 where the head travels along Z (about 16/18 inches in from the rear feet)

I followed the Haas video on leveling a VMC and I can’t seem to get this right.

I calibrate my level (SPI 0.0001 / 10” accuracy level).

I can get the machine level. I can remove the twist. I can remove the bow. But when I sweep my indicator, the machine table is not perpendicular to the spindle axis. Test cuts
Prove this theory. It was cutting well before I started messing with it, so I know that this machine is sound and accurate and not damaged or anything.

It’s a 3yr old machine that sees light use so it’s not a structural issue.

Does anyone have a sure fire method or routine for leveling and tramming a head in? Should I leave the middle screws alone? In fact, what do the middle screws do? They are directly under the Z ways so I would assume they handle head tilt.

For reference, the spindle sweep with a 0.0001 indicator on a 12” dia circle is (after leveling):

X- .0002
X+ .0003
Y+ (operator side) -.0002
Y- spindle side .0008
According to Haas the total delta on all 4 measurements should be less than 0.0005.

I for the life of me cannot get this thing trammed and facing good again. I understand that level is just a starting place for perpendicularity, but I’m lost here.

Please help! I don’t want to call my service tech out again and I specifically bought all these tools to NOT have to always call him. Mainly I am practicing on my 3 axis so that I can align the center lines on my 5 axis when they slip out of place every 6 months.

Thanks for helping a “service noob”

Hey all...I hope you can help me. I’m trying to level and tram my Hurco VM10i VMC. It has 6 leveling feet...2 front, 2 back, and 2 where the head travels along Z (about 16/18 inches in from the rear feet)

I followed the Haas video on leveling a VMC and I can’t seem to get this right.

I calibrate my level (SPI 0.0001 / 10” accuracy level).

I can get the machine level. I can remove the twist. I can remove the bow. But when I sweep my indicator, the machine table is not perpendicular to the spindle axis. Test cuts
Prove this theory. It was cutting well before I started messing with it, so I know that this machine is sound and accurate and not damaged or anything.

It’s a 3yr old machine that sees light use so it’s not a structural issue.

Does anyone have a sure fire method or routine for leveling and tramming a head in? Should I leave the middle screws alone? In fact, what do the middle screws do? They are directly under the Z ways so I would assume they handle head tilt.

For reference, the spindle sweep with a 0.0001 indicator on a 12” dia circle is (after leveling):

X- .0002
X+ .0003
Y+ (operator side) -.0002
Y- spindle side .0008
According to Haas the total delta on all 4 measurements should be less than 0.0005.

I for the life of me cannot get this thing trammed and facing good again. I understand that level is just a starting place for perpendicularity, but I’m lost here.

Please help! I don’t want to call my service tech out again and I specifically bought all these tools to NOT have to always call him. Mainly I am practicing on my 3 axis so that I can align the center lines on my 5 axis when they slip out of place every 6 months.

Thanks for helping a “service noob”
First of all, using square block, check the perpendicularity between X and Z and Y and Z axes. If these are OK (leading producer's standard is better than 0.00025/12), proceed to check the parallelism between the X and Y movement and the table surface. Then only proceed to spindle sweep check (leading machine tool producer's standard is better than 0.0003/12). If you do not perform the preliminary checks as stated, the results of spindle sweep are meaningless.

First of all, using square block, check the perpendicularity between X and Z and Y and Z axes. If these are OK (leading producer's standard is better than 0.00025/12), proceed to check the parallelism between the X and Y movement and the table surface. Then only proceed to spindle sweep check (leading machine tool producer's standard is better than 0.0003/12). If you do not perform the preliminary checks as stated, the results of spindle sweep are meaningless.

OK...so by using the square I can then adjust feet as necessary after seeing how perpendicular and parallel the axes are?

Back