What's new
What's new

Levelling base for Swiss?

moose2367

Plastic
Hey guys, After a bit of advice from those with more experience.

About to take delivery of my new to me Star SR20R and the are i was given to set it up is an old wash bay in a workshop, hence the concrete slopes to one end and more so to one corner for drainage.

The only place it can go has the lathe itself at the lowest point unfortunately. Has anyone anchored a leveling base out of heavy steel for one to sit on and use the base to level a machine?

It will only just fit where it is going and my large surface grinder is going on the other side, opposite, it is a bit over 6.5m also.

Appreciate any advice or tips. I would prefer to put it elsewhere, but it would block access to other parts of the workshop, unless i put it where the grinder currently is, but the bar feeder makes it 2m longer than the grinder, plus swarf bin still to go under the conveyor.

Not an ideal situation, but got to work with what i have, it's only for my own things to make at this stage, under 50mm long in aluminium and mild steel.

Thanks

Are you sure the floor is too wonky for the leveling screws/pads on the machine to compensate for? When we get new machines we make a footprint out of plywood strips screwed together to plop on the ground to check the layout options but you could put a level on a 2x4 to see the droop....?

Oops, forgot to say how much didn't I.

It's 80mm from from the far end of the bar feeder to the end of the swarf conveyor.

Plus the swarf conveyor will probably end up right on the drain grid that goes full width of the area.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

I would place and level the machine itself then the bar feed should be able to compensate, each of the two legs could be set independently to compensate.

Larger concern would be the fact that you are setting a drippy machine filled with oil over a drain. Consider filling the drain in with cement prior to install. You will be unable to keep oil from going down in. Perhaps that would allow you to level some portion of the floor.

A bit of oil is fine, it goes straight to a treatment plant we had for the mechanical workshop. They are running coolant in it at the moment, which i thought was a no no, but some are fine with it. I will look into changing it back, but have heard that can be difficult.
I'd prefer to have it in a different location where it's level, but probably not going to happen.
I will also get a stainless tray made to go under it anyhow.

It sounds to me that you are concerned with too much space at one point.

All you should need to worry about is that the machine it'self will level out in it's own footprint.
I have no idea how much adjustment that machine would have, but @ 3/4" I wouldn't guess it to have too much footprint?

The barfeeder should have all kinds of adjustment - like a foot prolly.

I was going to say the same about the drain, but sounds like you have that covered.

----------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

I'll have to check my notes, but from memory there is about 40 inches between leveling pads, but then the coolant tank and the swarf conveyor need to be on the same lave beyond that.
The bar feeder is an easy one, packers under the nearest leg to the lathe will sort that.

Thanks for the replies so far, appreciated

Back