What's new
What's new

Light Radial cut, long axial depth, 4140

TurninNBurnin

Plastic
I am making a part with multiple steps and have been using light W.O.C (around .01-.015) im using a .5 uncoated carbide endmill and have been running my speed at 3,000 and feed rate at 40 ipm. Is there parameters that can get me a better surface finish? Also at the bottom I need to make a cut thats only removing about .0025-.005. What should I change for that cut?

I deleted my initial response, you're asking for a better finish.
You could try taking your rpm's down a little bit, and keeping your feedrate around .003" ipt.

Use coolant.
Exactly what brand and style of end mill are you using? Is it a variable helix? Or a plain jane end mill?

When you say better finish, do you mean measured with a profilometer, or visually more "shiny and smooth?"

I don't like to go past 2-2.25" DOC with a 1/2" endmill, that is when I'll move up to 5/8" or 3/4". I'd use high flute count for a very rigid tool (even look to 7-11 flute with that stepover) and for a smoother *measured* surface I'd go with slower SFM, for a shinier surface I'd try to find a higher RPM node that doesn't sing. I've always found 4140 to get better looking the faster I push the SFM with light finish cuts. You may also be able to find a tool with staggered gashing that helps the cutting forces but still leaves a smooth finish.

Best of luck, let us know what you come up with.

Back