What's new
What's new

In-line laser inspection

thunderskunk

Cast Iron
Hello!

I heard a myth… and I’m wondering if it’s true.

Someone said there’s a laser system out there that can reliably measure a part inside a machine, through coolant. So, in my case, it would measure an OD of a turned part and adjust offsets based on the inspection data. Might even have a separate laser to inspect Z axis features. All would have to happen with the presence of coolant.

Too good to be true?

Keyence laser micrometer.

With proper programming you can measure things like diameter, major/minor on a thread, radii, etc.

No direct experience, we didn't opt for the option, but I've had tons of reference material and conversations with the rep.

I have never heard of an in machine setup like this but back in the mid 2000's I built an automated measuring machine for bone screws that measured with a laser as parts came down a chute and passed through the laser. Could even measure pitch diameter with proper setup. This machine was built from a machine that was used to inspect bullets and bullet casings. Ammunition makers used these most commonly. Also, screw manufacturers used this. The machine I built could inspect at 60 parts per minute. Ammo maker machines were much faster. It was a company out of Flint, Mi. I can't remember the name.

Paul

Hello!

I heard a myth… and I’m wondering if it’s true.

Someone said there’s a laser system out there that can reliably measure a part inside a machine, through coolant. So, in my case, it would measure an OD of a turned part and adjust offsets based on the inspection data. Might even have a separate laser to inspect Z axis features. All would have to happen with the presence of coolant.

Too good to be true?

With any laser approach I imagine you are going to need to turn off and blow off coolant.

The Keyence TM series can do two axis (think mini digital profile projector) High-speed 2D Optical Micrometer - TM-3000 series | KEYENCE America

I have seen many inline applications, as in after the part is spit out, go/no go acceptance. In machine is going to a little trickier as I don’t think these are built for an in machine environment. Simplest would be have an operator manual load/unload as a tool. Best would be a robotic arm brings it in.

Seems like Keyence makes some cool products, but their wild pack of aggressive sales people are such a turn off that I'll never find out. Couldn't walk past their both at IMTS without 3 of them jumping out to greet you. Then endless calls and emails and requests for onsite visits after that. Then if you open a link on one of their email blasts it alerts them and you get a call 90 seconds later.

I think that the Keyence LS series (laser) is designed for use inside a machine.

They very well could be. They have air purge lenses available. I just haven't seen an in machine application. I could see mounting the setup on a actuator within the enclosure that presents it to the part and then pulls it back behind a protective door.

Most in machine part inspection seems to be probe based.

I guess it depends on what tolerances you need. For very accurate measurements, there can be no coolant or oil on a laser measured part, needs to be absolutely clean.

Seems like Keyence makes some cool products, but their wild pack of aggressive sales people are such a turn off that I'll never find out. Couldn't walk past their both at IMTS without 3 of them jumping out to greet you. Then endless calls and emails and requests for onsite visits after that. Then if you open a link on one of their email blasts it alerts them and you get a call 90 seconds later.

You’re not kidding. I have a story, but out of respect for the salesman (and in case they see my post) I’ll just say you wouldn’t be surprised if you’ve already interacted with Keyence.

Back