What's new
What's new

Live Center for Sub Spindle Lathe

What kind of live center is typically used in a sub spindle lathe?

I would say none as a 3 jaw would make more sense (assuming some '2nd' op work on part).

But a guess would be one with an extended point to offer the most clearance on your turning tools.

this is what I did for a center and keeps your sub open for takeover

YouTube

Like orange said I just synched the spindles a did a % of torque press.

Very slick. Filing that away in the back of my mind where I will definitely have forgotten it if I ever need it in the future.

I like that!

Did you make the center holder?

yes, I also made about 5 more and turn down the backside to match the collet/material size I have to use.

hopefully I'll have a new video in a few months of something similar but I'm going to have a hollow center and use a post to store it on the turret. I have a job where i use the lower turret to mount a center that's called I think a bull center and pin the part with the lower and the upper has y to mill around with. But I have a new machine that should be in Rotterdam waiting for a container ship to sail that has 2 upper/lower turrets both with y. So I don't want to tie up the lower turret when I can get it into the action.

We use a Royal straight shank spring center, chucked by the subspindle chuck. We do use an extension for it otherwise we would not have any tool clearance at all, it's just a turned rod 2.25" O.D. with a close-fit bore for the shank of the center and a set screw, about 10" long. It basically looks like a manual lathe tailstock ram.

Back