What's new
What's new

Live Tool Block Rebuilding

J Gilles

Cast Iron
I'm looking to get some feedback on live tool rebuilders. We currently go through Sandvik/WTO for our Capto C4 live blocks, but the combination of high pricing and 3-4 week lead time is rough. I have found some info about Exsys and Ekstrom, but not much on rebuilding.

Does anybody have recommendations for companies that are rebuilding live blocks from other manufacturers?

Edit: If it matters, our most common rebuild is the radial 12k rpm C3 block.

I used Productivity Inc. to rebuild our Heimatec live holder back in December. Its still running with no issues. I was pretty pleased with them. Price seemed high but I think that is the rebuild business in general. I think they realize you won't buy a new holder when a rebuild will be 60% of new. I don't remember the price but I think it was around there.

Seems like no matter where we go for live tool rebuilds, they're trying to sell us a new tool.
We have used both WTO and Exsys. I also recently saw a sales flyer for Carbide Tool Services Inc. (MN) and it advertised live tool repair services.

Where is Productivity Inc. located?

I used Productivity Inc. to rebuild our Heimatec live holder back in December. Its still running with no issues. I was pretty pleased with them. Price seemed high but I think that is the rebuild business in general. I think they realize you won't buy a new holder when a rebuild will be 60% of new. I don't remember the price but I think it was around there.

Good to know. I'll reach out to them when the next batch is ready.

Seems like no matter where we go for live tool rebuilds, they're trying to sell us a new tool.
We have used both WTO and Exsys. I also recently saw a sales flyer for Carbide Tool Services Inc. (MN) and it advertised live tool repair services.

I'll have to check with CTS on that. I recently got some custom profiling holders repaired through them. Good price, quick turn around, and they are like new.

PQI in Minnesota. Good people. Never used 'em for a live tool rebuild, but for other things.

Command tool is someone I have bought from before, but never tried their rebuilds. You could call and talk to them: Repair/Service - Command Tooling Systems

WTO has done some rebuilds for us, they're good.

PCM Rebuilds one specific live tool for us (thread whirler) and do a good job.

Back