What's new
What's new

Live tool lathe spindle gap?

meowkat

Aluminum
I'm getting curious, is using live tooling with coolant a bad idea? I mean, should I be covering up my spindle gap somehow?
The spindle sitting stationary, with a live tool block milling away and blasting coolant, some of which is bound to end up at the spindle gap, that surely can't be good for the spindle, right?

Or are live tool lathe spindles just made better in that regard?

Most live tool holders recommend or require coolant running to keep the unit itself cool. Those little gears can make a lot of heat at higher RPM. Are you referring to the turning spindle when talking about the gap? Is there no chuck cover on the machine?

There is a chuck on the machine, what do you mean by "chuck cover" ?

I am referring to the gap between the spindle shaft and the housing, just behind the chuck/spindle-nose area. I've always heard to "mind the spindle gap" so you aren't blowing coolant directly on it.

I'm just wondering if the spindle sitting stationary while coolant is blown around the machine is worse for the spindle than if the spindle were spinning at the time?

The spindle nose piece has a labyrinth type seal and drain holes in the bottom. Biggest issue I have seen is that the hole(s) get plugged up with fines and slime and then coolant works it’s way past the labyrinth and gets to the bearings. This happens on live tool and non-live tool lathes.

Back