What's new
What's new

Skiving multus u4000

Does anyone know the best cycle format for skiving on a okuma multus u4000?

There is not a Canned cycle for that. If that is what you are asking. Esprit will contain the Involute arc and interpret it for a Multus.

There are 3 different processes that you might be referring to though; 1. Skivving, (as I understand it) is timing the Turning part with a sort of Form Cutter, to generate Gears. Almost like Broaching. Involute Gear cutting, is timing the C-axis with a Perpendicular Tool (not necessarily) to generate Gears. Barrel Turning, which is actual Turning using the C-axis at high speed, to generate Eccentric Outer Diameters or Ovals or whatever. All three are Timed to the Cutters rotation.

So are you looking to solve Skivving as what I think it is? Or am I totally on crack?

Robert

If you are talking Gear machining, Okuma has a gear cutting package to simplify this. Otherwise, you would just need to sync the main spindle and tool spindle at the proper respective speed using electronic gear box codes and move accordingly. As far as cycle format, haven't the foggiest. I haven't lived in the Okuma world in a long time.

So are you looking to solve Skivving as what I think it is? Or am I totally on crack?

Rob,

I can't speak to your pastime proclivities, but it's not what we in the Gear World have typically considered Skiving. Skiving has traditionally described a type of super finishing operation performed upon mostly finished Involutes*, and more oft than not in a hardened condition. For the last decade, MTBs have been trying to coin a buzzword to describe their latest attempts at Gear Making in multifunction machines by using Skiving to mean something COMPLETELY different. Add to this my own admitted personal disdain for their err... shall we say... "misleading" at best claims of capability and accuracies and you arrive at the equivalent of "Billet" and "Military Grade" bullshit. ( at best ) These days, the MTBs are using it to describe a process that is a combination of something resembling a Shaper Cutter rotating at high speed, in coordination with the work also spinning, and using axial movement to traverse the Face Width. It DOES work, and has obvious applications, but the expenditure and actual resultant guaranteed quality are not what you find in literature or from the salesmen's mouths and offer little to no gains for most shops and processes that I have seen, yet. Now where'd I leave my coffee...?

Rob,

I can't speak to your pastime proclivities, but it's not what we in the Gear World have typically considered Skiving. Skiving has traditionally described a type of super finishing operation performed upon mostly finished Involutes*, and more oft than not in a hardened condition. For the last decade, MTBs have been trying to coin a buzzword to describe their latest attempts at Gear Making in multifunction machines by using Skiving to mean something COMPLETELY different. Add to this my own admitted personal disdain for their err... shall we say... "misleading" at best claims of capability and accuracies and you arrive at the equivalent of "Billet" and "Military Grade" bullshit. ( at best ) These days, the MTBs are using it to describe a process that is a combination of something resembling a Shaper Cutter rotating at high speed, in coordination with the work also spinning, and using axial movement to traverse the Face Width. It DOES work, and has obvious applications, but the expenditure and actual resultant guaranteed quality are not what you find in literature or from the salesmen's mouths and offer little to no gains for most shops and processes that I have seen, yet. Now where'd I leave my coffee...?

Interesting. Was trying to get an idea of what the OP was asking.

Your coffee is next to the Epic, Frictionless, Synergetic Mocha, just take it Offline and think outside the box. :(

R

Rob,

I've been very curious as to the level of accuracy of this "skiving" operation. It's really just a more accurate rotary broaching method. It would seem to me that if the spindles have enough torque, and the tooling is basically perfect, they could produce fairly accurate forms. But the relatively low torque of the tool spindle in comparison to a dedicated gear machine might be challenging in keeping a tight relationship between the two parts.

If you check out the Sandvik site.

Watching the video it looks like a simple lap cycle with the tool at 45deg. Since okuma is the best at easy cycles I assumed there would be a simple format. (Okuma books a jiberish on description!)

Sandvik has a special inserted skiving cutter and show the process. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a easy lap code. My company uses Catia. I'm sure we can figure it out but if someone has an easy lap or macro then it would help. The machines do have a gear cutting package but the books suck.

Sandvik has a special inserted skiving cutter and show the process. I'm just trying to figure out if there is a easy lap code. My company uses Catia. I'm sure we can figure it out but if someone has an easy lap or macro then it would help. The machines do have a gear cutting package but the books suck.

So you are thinking about using the Form type tool where the Inserts are the approximate shape of the Space of the Gear tooth.

What type of gears are you thinking of making? A Spur gear should be fairly straight forward with G85-G81 and a Curvic coupling even a Bevel gear should be okay with G85-G82.

R

External spline.

So you are thinking about using the Form type tool where the Inserts are the approximate shape of the Space of the Gear tooth.

What type of gears are you thinking of making? A Spur gear should be fairly straight forward with G85-G81 and a Curvic coupling even a Bevel gear should be okay with G85-G82.

R
External involute spline..

Back