What's new
What's new

Locating zero outside my Fadal table

sidetrack50

Aluminum
My Fadal is up and running and I'm making parts but now I have what I call a radius plate to machine, problem is it's a 26" radius so I need my zero point to be outside my table, does anyone know how to set my "Y" say 6" outside my table. I use to run a Cincinnati Milacron and I use to be able to set X or Y to what ever I wanted.

pick up a known feature and orientation inside the work envelope, then go to page 2 of the offsets screen "work offsets". Modify offset location by the distance x and y that the "home feature" SHOULD be.
I'm doing this right now with parts im running on my 4th.

So you basically can change the edge of the table using edge finder and change it from zero to say 6" in the offset screen?

So what would be the procedure for this, I'm still trying to remember the programming and I'm working off the monitor. On the Cincinnati I use to machine long 1 x 6 rails and would spot center drill at 40" then move the rail and indicate the center drill spot and call it 40" and continue across the 12' rail, 40, 80, 120 etc.
radius plate picture.jpg

So what would be the procedure for this, I'm still trying to remember the programming and I'm working off the monitor. On the Cincinnati I use to machine long 1 x 6 rails and would spot center drill at 40" then move the rail and indicate the center drill spot and call it 40" and continue across the 12' rail, 40, 80, 120 etc.
View attachment 247310

Indicate the spot centre drill, and call it 0, then have your program move over and spot the next once at 40?
That way your program never changes.

But I dont think im really picking up what youre trying to do.

My Fadal is up and running and I'm making parts but now I have what I call a radius plate to machine, problem is it's a 26" radius so I need my zero point to be outside my table, does anyone know how to set my "Y" say 6" outside my table. I use to run a Cincinnati Milacron and I use to be able to set X or Y to what ever I wanted.

Lot of jabbering, including myself.. What is the actual problem???
Pick up your reference point and then offset.

OR... If you are new to Fadals, then you are new to Fadals, then it is possible
that you are doing something wrong..

How are you setting your offsets?? Are you typing SETX and SETY???

That moves the machine home position... You type SETX and SETY.. ONCE...
EVER!!!! The entire time you own the machine.

If that is what you are doing, then you aren't even using fixture offsets.
Use the fixture offsets.. First space bar menu, #4 set fixture.. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS.
You can then offset by going to the offset table. You can get there several ways, the
easiest is first space bar menu, #6 offsets. Then hit the space bar to get to get from
the tool offset screen to the Fixture offset screen, then literally follow the instructions
on the screen to offset your offset to anywhere your heart desires.

Just because the center of the arc is outside the travel of the machine does not mean your part zero has to be set there. No real reason I can see to do that. If finger camming the program, then it might make a bit less math, but not a real issue IMO.

I know some basic programming and how the Fadal works but not real familiar with how the offset works. I do use the fixture offset using the edge finder. So basically instead of calling the edge of a part zero (datum) you can change it to any number? I don't change the SETX or SETY. I'm making a fixture to hold 3 radius plates so I can drill 28 holes along a 26" radius. I need to install dowels in a couple locations to locate the radius plates. Strictly finger cam at this point.

I know some basic programming and how the Fadal works but not real familiar with how the offset works. I do use the fixture offset using the edge finder. So basically instead of calling the edge of a part zero (datum) you can change it to any number? I don't change the SETX or SETY. I'm making a fixture to hold 3 radius plates so I can drill 28 holes along a 26" radius. I need to install dowels in a couple locations to locate the radius plates. Strictly finger cam at this point.

Your offset can be anywhere you want it to be. Zero doesn't have to be the edge of the part,
or the center of the part.. Zzero doesn't always have to be the top of the part...

Especially if you are finger banging it, having the XYzero be the arc center makes sense..

Slap your part down.. First space bar menu, #4,Set Fixture.. Pick your fixture offset #,
enter your edge finder diameter and rpm.. Then #4 Center of circle.. Then follow the
directions on the screen.. [Jog], pick up first point, [Manual], [Jog], pick up second point, [Manual],
[Jog], pick up third point, [Manual].. [C]ompute.. nsert.. And done.

Thanks for your reply, I think I got it, so basically working backwards from zero, instead of setting Y at zero and moving 26" to the radius center you set the radius center at 26" and zero ends up outside the table. Does that make sense?

Back