What's new
What's new

Long internal threads on a lathe

Camputer

Aluminum
Is there a trick to doing long internal threads on a lathe? I have a 3/4 OD part that has a 1/2-20 thread all the way through the part which is 4 inches long. The idea is to run them consecutively out of barstock so it would basically be a blind hole. The material is hardened 15-5.

Cut off parts, tap through using a long reduced-shank gun tap...in SOFT material. I don't think it's even possible in hard 15-5.

15-5 is basically 17-4 that costs more. "Soft" is about a 35C in the solution heated condition, what some call annealed, but its not "annealed", annealed is soft forever, until its solution treated, like the difference between in 6061 between A condition "0" and a condition "T0" they are not the same thing.

Yet when heat treated, you can end up anywhere between a 28 and a 46. I haven't messed with 15-5 too much, but in 17-4, even well into the 40's it machines better than it does in the mid 30's when its in the solution treated condition. It loses a lot of its "Stainless-y" machining properties once its heat treated and behaves much like a hardened alloy steel.

As for on a lathe, you aren't going to single point it. So you have to tap it. I wouldn't want to do it, especially blind.

Hopefully its a J thread so you can open up the minor, but your lathe need to be dead nuts square to try it.

At least its a fine thread, forces will be a lot lower than a course thread.

How many are we talking here. 500 or 20? I'd probably run them individually, maybe bar feed, add a back side chamfer into an undersized hole, and part. Then flip and tap as deep as I could with a standard tap, then finish by hand with the expensive long tap. But I wouldn't do that for 500 of them.

I'm no help on that material, but I completely agree that you aint gunna tap that before cut-off.
At least not many times...

-------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

LMT-Fette make screw on head form taps. You might talk to them about the possibility of one of those on an extended shank.

Not much experience with 15-5, but 17-4 form taps very nicely even at H900, so I'd be optimistic about it.

Page 40 of the linked pdf, there is a 1/2-20 with a standard shank of 100mm, so nearly there off the shelf. Not what they're designed for of course, but might be workable.

Internal Threading Technology

Thanks for the tips guys, I'll keep this all in mind if I end up having to do them. I think I'm gonna have a chat with the boss to see if we can maybe skip this one. The shop we're getting them from currently does a pretty nice job and the part has some other features that aren't really suited for us.

Btw, we cut a lot of 15-5 and I'd prefer it over any other stainless if I had my choice. I just don't think I'd have much fun putting an 8xD tap into anything.

Back