Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    The "FCA320M" means a 320M. Mits had the 300 as a series with lathe, mill, and laser variants. Within each of those variants were models with different capabilities. I don't know the specifics, but typically the higher the number indicated more or different capabilities over the lower model numbers.

The highest model I have done some work with was the 330. Biggest difference with it that I knew of was the ability to have a custom U/I created by the machine builder to supplement or even replace the Mitsu U/I.
    Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    Thanks!
    So, not sure how applicable the 300/300V manuals are that they said would come.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The 300/300-V manual says 320M right under it. That is the exact same manual I have, except yours appears to still be in one piece.....mine on the other hand......its all there but shes is sad shape

2. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine and carousel/umbrella ATC are BT40.
    Is it possible to make it hold and do tool changes with both BT40 and CT40?

Link/suggestions for replacing batteries?

In terms of RS232, I know they have it and use it, so Iíll try to download ladder, params, ... at their shop.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The machine and carousel/umbrella ATC are BT40.
    Is it possible to make it hold and do tool changes with both BT40 and CT40?

Link/suggestions for replacing batteries?......
    No, not possible to mix flange types.

Get your parameters and all other data backed up before messing with the batteries.

5. Likes rpseguin, DavidScott liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No, not possible to mix flange types.

Get your parameters and all other data backed up before messing with the batteries.
    Ok. I thought probably not, but wanted to check.
    Will do on backing up!
    Are the Meldas all the same battery type?

Thanks so much!
    Youíve been so helpful!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Looking at Advanced/Mighty VMC 520

Anybody tried running these VMCs off single phase? Spindle is 10HP, VFD driven.
    Will the Mitsubishi control and drives come up on single phase?

Iíll have 3 phase, but it would be nice to not spin up and idle a 25HP rotary phase converter if I donít have to.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Wisconsin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Get a Phase Perfect.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My M50 Meldas uses all the same type battery. I expect the M300 would be similar. 3.6V lithium cells. I get them from allelectronics.com and solder the leads from the old cells onto the new cells. Do that while the power is on.

I run my Mori on single phase. It has no hydraulic unit so very easy to do. Added an inverter to run the coolant pump. That was less cost than buying a single phase pump. 10HP is getting pretty big to run on single phase. Largest motor I have ever done with an inverter on single phase is 5HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Oh another thing I like to do is if the backlash checks good, go into the parameters and make sure a large number hasn't been entered into backlash comp to compensate for wore ballscrews/nuts/balls. If you are not familiar with the controller you'll have to check the manual to figure out how to do this.
    Good advice. I got burned by this once. I took the time to check backlash only to find out later that there was a 0.0035" compensation in the control lol.

The X axis home switch probably is an easy fix. It could be the switch, but wires tend to go hard from oil/age and then they crack. The X axis wires are always in motion and exposed to oil so they are the first to go. I bet thats your problem. When you tear it apart do your self a favor and replace ALL the X axis wires. Home switch, limit switches, servo power and encoder cable.

11. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mmurray70 View Post
    Good advice. I got burned by this once. I took the time to check backlash only to find out later that there was a 0.0035" compensation in the control lol.

The X axis home switch probably is an easy fix. It could be the switch, but wires tend to go hard from oil/age and then they crack. The X axis wires are always in motion and exposed to oil so they are the first to go. I bet thats your problem. When you tear it apart do your self a favor and replace ALL the X axis wires. Home switch, limit switches, servo power and encoder cable.
    Thanks!
    Yeah, Iím hoping the X axis fix is easy.
    I plan to put some elbow grease into the thing to clean it up for sure.
    Iím bringing a dial test indicator with me this week to look at the machine and see what kind of backlash it has.

If I do get it, itíll be an interesting learning experience. I know how to tram a knee mill, but Iíve never aligned and trammed a VMC before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!

My M50 Meldas uses all the same type battery. I expect the M300 would be similar. 3.6V lithium cells. I get them from allelectronics.com and solder the leads from the old cells onto the new cells. Do that while the power is on.

I run my Mori on single phase. It has no hydraulic unit so very easy to do. Added an inverter to run the coolant pump. That was less cost than buying a single phase pump. 10HP is getting pretty big to run on single phase. Largest motor I have ever done with an inverter on single phase is 5HP.
    I agree that 10HP is a fair amount from single phase, especially when loaded.

My friend and I actually used a 100HP VFD to spin up and idle a 200HP motor.
    We used a transformer to step up the voltage to 460V and ran that through a regular home extension cord (14ga or 16ga) as the input power into the VFD.
    We soft started the motor with a slow ramp.

The motor was obviously unloaded, cause even at 460V, 14ga is only going to carry about 9KW or so.

YouTube

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Iíve got a deal on the VMC!

On to the next things:

-looking for best deal on moving/rigging the machine from near Palo Alto, CA to Napa, CA. Iíve been calling around and have someone that Iím going to use unless I find something better.

-Free CAD/CAM that works with Mac OS/X and/or Linux or old Windows (for Windows Iíll have to find an old machine at a garage sale or something with a license)? Iím already planning on installing and learning Fusion

-RS-232 (DB25 female connector on the VMC) to USB recommendations? Iím seeing $5.99 ones on eBay with free shipping, so I guess I can try one out.

-any other recommendations for a home garage installation?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

.......-RS-232 (DB25 female connector on the VMC) to USB recommendations? I’m seeing $5.99 ones on eBay with free shipping, so I guess I can try one out......
    Moxa is the only one I had 100% success with. Keyspan are supposed to be good too, but never tried one. Do not get one that uses the Prolific chipset. The 2 of those I tried would not drip feed with 100% reliability. Worked OK most all the time to load a program into memory if not too long. My Moxa lasted ~10 years. When it failed for unknown reasons I replaced it with a PCMCIA express card to RS-232 adapter of no name brand. I tested it for drip feeding thoroughly with a 4mB test program with no lost data.

16. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moxa is the only one I had 100% success with. Keyspan are supposed to be good too, but never tried one. Do not get one that uses the Prolific chipset. The 2 of those I tried would not drip feed with 100% reliability. Worked OK most all the time to load a program into memory if not too long. My Moxa lasted ~10 years. When it failed for unknown reasons I replaced it with a PCMCIA express card to RS-232 adapter of no name brand. I tested it for drip feeding thoroughly with a 4mB test program with no lost data.
    Thanks!
    Thatís super helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Came in the mail today

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks exactly like what I used to use.

20. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the seller also has a Haas 5C indexer with the controller and it interfaces and works with the VMC as an indexer using M codes.

They are asking $2500 for it and I donít have that right now as I also need to pay for rigging.

So, I guess my questions are:

-What is the physical and communications interface and protocol for 4th axis on Mitsubishi Meldas [320M]?

-Can the 320M handle full 4 axis interpolation? I know that would be a completely different mechanism and would probably require a 4th axis Mitsubishi drive directly interfaced to the control.

-Anybody have a super good deal on a 4th axis setup for a small VMC?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So the seller also has a Haas 5C indexer with the controller and it interfaces and works with the VMC as an indexer using M codes.

They are asking $2500 for it and I donít have that right now as I also need to pay for rigging.

So, I guess my questions are:

-What is the physical and communications interface and protocol for 4th axis on Mitsubishi Meldas [320M]?

-Can the 320M handle full 4 axis interpolation? I know that would be a completely different mechanism and would probably require a 4th axis Mitsubishi drive directly interfaced to the control.

-Anybody have a super good deal on a 4th axis setup for a small VMC?
    My machine has the 4th axis prep option including an auto lube line so I will be interested to see what answers your question brings.

23. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would need a Mitsu servo drive and the 4th would need a Mitsu motor that matched the servo drive and is equipped with an encoder count that will resolve into 360,000 positions on the rotary taking into account whatever reduction ratios (worm gear and sometimes belt drive) the 4th uses.

There will need to be a change to your control software configuration parameters to enable 4th axis control. If your Mitsu firmware version does not support a 4th then updated firmware will be needed. Those items are almost certainly going to require a visit from your friendly, but expensive, Mitsu factory tech.

There will be some cabling and plumbing needed. Control to servo drive cables. Servo drive to motor power and encoder cables. Clamp/unclamp solenoid and limit switch or pressure switch cables.

The CNC servo parameters will need to be calculated and set. You will need to figure out if your machine builder's ladder has 4th axis support for clamp and unclamp M-codes. If they provided those M-codes then you will need to figure out the I/O points needed and wire up the solenoids and limit switch or pressure switch (whatever the 4th is equipped with). There may need to be a bit select PLC parameter activated to make the clamp/unclamp M-codes operational.

Not a trivial amount of work. Hence the popularity of things like Haas indexers for retrofit setups.

25. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just called Mitsubishi Electric Automation and gave him my VMC machine serial # and he looked it up and said that my control could do 4 axis simultaneous interpolation.
    However, Iíd need to find a drive and do some work on parameters.
    Heís going to email me the options that my control has.
    Very impressed with their service and support so far!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You would need a Mitsu servo drive and the 4th would need a Mitsu motor that matched the servo drive and is equipped with an encoder count that will resolve into 360,000 positions on the rotary taking into account whatever reduction ratios (worm gear and sometimes belt drive) the 4th uses.

There will need to be a change to your control software configuration parameters to enable 4th axis control. If your Mitsu firmware version does not support a 4th then updated firmware will be needed. Those items are almost certainly going to require a visit from your friendly, but expensive, Mitsu factory tech.

There will be some cabling and plumbing needed. Control to servo drive cables. Servo drive to motor power and encoder cables. Clamp/unclamp solenoid and limit switch or pressure switch cables.

The CNC servo parameters will need to be calculated and set. You will need to figure out if your machine builder's ladder has 4th axis support for clamp and unclamp M-codes. If they provided those M-codes then you will need to figure out the I/O points needed and wire up the solenoids and limit switch or pressure switch (whatever the 4th is equipped with). There may need to be a bit select PLC parameter activated to make the clamp/unclamp M-codes operational.

Not a trivial amount of work. Hence the popularity of things like Haas indexers for retrofit setups.
    Yeah. I figure it probably would be a lot of work!
    Something for the future!
    The Mitsubishi Electric Automation guy said that my control should support 4 axis simultaneous interpolation.
    I might be able to borrow a KollMorgen ServoStar direct drive rotary motor and drive, but not sure how coolant/chip proof those are...

Drives (no connector or space for A/4th):

Whole electrical cabinet: