Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    .....The Mitsubishi Electric Automation guy said that my control should support 4 axis simultaneous interpolation.......
    The 300 series control could do at least 5 axis if configured with the correct boards and firmware. Your firmware may (and probably does) have 4th support. It will not be active though. There are "secret" parameters that need to be set to enable 4th support unless your display already shows 4 axes active.

2. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven't read all of the threads, but.....

I had a Mighty Viper VMC750 that was a great machine until it started to have some bugs. It got to the point that I gave up on it. It would run for a day or two and it would take 2 - 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong, actually the bug would go away and then reappear in a few days.

Mitsubishi is a fantastic company. You can call them for tech support and they will do everything in their power to help.

Mighty is not a great company for parts or service on their older machines. There are a "few" individuals who speak English. They will try to help you, but hopefully this will not be your primary machine.

Parts is another story. You can give them a part number, they will ask you to send a picture of the part you are looking for. The older parts got moved out into a storage area. It will take a day or two if you are lucky to get an answer back. It will then take another day or two to get the part shipped.

The Mighty machines are built like tanks, but when you need parts it's a bit of a problem.

4. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ranchak View Post

I had a Mighty Viper VMC750 that was a great machine until it started to have some bugs. It got to the point that I gave up on it. It would run for a day or two and it would take 2 - 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong, actually the bug would go away and then reappear in a few days.
    Thatís got to be frustrating!

Mitsubishi is a fantastic company. You can call them for tech support and they will do everything in their power to help.
    Yeah! Iím impressed by them so far!

Mighty is not a great company for parts or service on their older machines. There are a "few" individuals who speak English. They will try to help you, but hopefully this will not be your primary machine.

Parts is another story. You can give them a part number, they will ask you to send a picture of the part you are looking for. The older parts got moved out into a storage area. It will take a day or two if you are lucky to get an answer back. It will then take another day or two to get the part shipped.

The Mighty machines are built like tanks, but when you need parts it's a bit of a problem.
    Thanks!
    Good to know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Moved the VMC yesterday.
    The rigger, All Machinery Moving, was very good and I definitely recommend them!!
    They did a great job, were quick and friendly!

As I knew Iíd have to do, I had to unbolt/remove the Z axis motor and cable track to get it under my garage door.
    I hope I didnít mess anything up in the process.
    I already lowered the Z axis down and put the spindle nose onto wood block.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got a little bit of free time and measured the backup battery voltage at 3.74V, which seems good to me.
    I may eventually make an additional NiMH 3 AA cell pack that clips on instead of that expensive pack.

I tried a few experiments of running the machine off single phase (I donít have my RPC back up and running yet).
    I managed to get the control to power on, but I was getting a Y03 AMP. UNEQUIPPED

which Iím hoping is just it complaining about lack of 3ph.

I havenít yet tried jumpering one of the 1ph hot legs to be 2 of the 3ph input legs.
    What risks are there in doing this?
    Worth trying?
    I think it should be safe to do, but would love to hear feedback/ideas.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You need to go to the DIAG I/O screen to see the full alarm details. The Y03 alarm means that power has not been applied to the drive or the selector switch that ID's the drive on the bus is not correctly set.

I'm guessing it will be the spindle drive that the control doesn't see. Since all 3 axes display on the screen, I suspect those drives are happy. When I first was trying my Mori on single phase, I disconnected the power cables to Y, Z, and the spindle, only leaving X connected. When I booted the control, it only displayed the X axis and the Y03 alarm details showed Y, Z and S as the axes not found.

How many kW or HP is your spindle? I'm running a 5HP Mitsu spindle drive on single phase with zero issues. Still has the full power and factory accel/decel rates. Larger drives might not do so well.

If you narrow down the trouble to the spindle drive, post what model the drive is. I'll see if I have any info on it and may be able to give further advice.

My gut feel is that your S03 alarm is not related to missing a leg on the power. Usually that would be captured as a low bus voltage alarm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    You need to go to the DIAG I/O screen to see the full alarm details. The Y03 alarm means that power has not been applied to the drive or the selector switch that ID's the drive on the bus is not correctly set.

I'm guessing it will be the spindle drive that the control doesn't see. Since all 3 axes display on the screen, I suspect those drives are happy. When I first was trying my Mori on single phase, I disconnected the power cables to Y, Z, and the spindle, only leaving X connected. When I booted the control, it only displayed the X axis and the Y03 alarm details showed Y, Z and S as the axes not found.

How many kW or HP is your spindle? I'm running a 5HP Mitsu spindle drive on single phase with zero issues. Still has the full power and factory accel/decel rates. Larger drives might not do so well.

If you narrow down the trouble to the spindle drive, post what model the drive is. I'll see if I have any info on it and may be able to give further advice.

My gut feel is that your S03 alarm is not related to missing a leg on the power. Usually that would be captured as a low bus voltage alarm.
    Thanks!
    10HP/7.5KW

FR-SGJ-2-7.5K-BR
    BN420U075

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spindle drive (Mitsubishi FREQROL FR-SGJ) says Un E7 after I press the On button on the control.

I donít see any red LEDs in the rest of the control boxes or axes drives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diag I/O screen:

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spindle drive (Mitsubishi FREQROL FR-SGJ) says Un E7 after I press the On button on the control.

I donít see any red LEDs in the rest of the control boxes or axes drives.

I believe E7 means it is receiving an estop signal from the controller.....
    I would not recommend jumping 2 legs of incoming power!

On edit: I just estopped my machine in between cycles and the drive showed E7

13. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Pennsylvania
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I haven’t yet tried jumpering one of the 1ph hot legs to be 2 of the 3ph input legs.
    What risks are there in doing this?
    Worth trying?
    I think it should be safe to do, but would love to hear feedback/ideas.
    Not a good idea, if you don't understand electronics and electricity enough to fully trace out the system to see if this will cause harm, you are playing with fire IMO. Don't risk burning up your new machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hardplates View Post
    Not a good idea, if you don't understand electronics and electricity enough to fully trace out the system to see if this will cause harm, you are playing with fire IMO. Don't risk burning up your new machine
    I did trace things out to the drives, but I donít know enough about what they are doing internally.
    That said, I would think that the most that would happen is having it detect 0V potential difference leg to leg where it might expect 3ph.
    I am going to look for docs on this FREQROL FR-SGJ spindle drive to see if theyíll accept 1ph input.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Diag I/O screen:

My earlier thought is likely wrong based on what I see here. Since it is reporting XYZ on the DIAGN screen then the servo amp is not happy about something. I don't have any info on that drive, nor for the Freqrol spindle drive unit.

Single phase operation may very well not be possible with the hardware you have. The MDS-A-SVJ servo drives and MDS-A-SPJ spindle drive (up to 5HP any way) will work on single phase.

Early Fanuc AC drives could be faked to run on single phase but needed a jumper from one hot leg to the unconnected leg to fool a power loss detection problem. Whether or not your drive would be similar or not is unknown. An experiment could be costly. I don't think it would cause any harm, but if you proceed, it's at your risk.

17. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Vancbiker View Post
    My earlier thought is likely wrong based on what I see here. Since it is reporting XYZ on the DIAGN screen then the servo amp is not happy about something. I don't have any info on that drive, nor for the Freqrol spindle drive unit.

Single phase operation may very well not be possible with the hardware you have. The MDS-A-SVJ servo drives and MDS-A-SPJ spindle drive (up to 5HP any way) will work on single phase.

Early Fanuc AC drives could be faked to run on single phase but needed a jumper from one hot leg to the unconnected leg to fool a power loss detection problem. Whether or not your drive would be similar or not is unknown. An experiment could be costly. I don't think it would cause any harm, but if you proceed, it's at your risk.
    Thanks!

So, I got my 25HP rotary phase converter wired up and spun it up and got the machine powered with 3ph power and all the drives came up and I am able to jog the axes and run the spindle.
    I may try the single phase experiments again at a later time, as it would be nice to not have to spin up and run the RPC.

Now I need to fix the issues and learn how to use this control/machine properly.

Issues:
    1. X axis limit switch needs fixing so I can home/reference the axes and actually run programs.

2. How do I load tools into the carousel toolchanger?
    I can do manual toolchange with the button near the spindle, but when I go T2 M6 in the monitor or try in MDI, it doesnít do it.
    Iím wondering if itís related to #3 below.

3. Looks like I have some kind of air leak in the manifold.

YouTube

Iím wondering if something got jiggled during rigging/transportation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You'll have to home at least the Z axis to change a tool.

Sometimes the tool call and M6 have to be on separate lines.

If z is homed and you MDI T2-EOB-M6-EOB-INSERT and hit cycle start you should have a toolchange.

20. Likes rpseguin liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Garwood View Post

If z is homed and you MDI T2-EOB-M6-EOB-INSERT and hit cycle start you should have a toolchange.
    Thanks!
    That makes sense!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!!
    That makes sense!
    Iíll do that when I power up next

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks!
    Worked fine!

Now I need to:
    -fill lubricant pump reservoir. I have Vactra #2 equivalent on hand, but not sure thatís best. I donít have the manual for the machine (Comet/Advanced VMC 520).
    -fix my X axis home/zero ref switch
    -fix leaky air in/near solenoid manifold
    (Leaks when power is on or off)
    -rotate control pendant to give more space between machines.

24. Likes Garwood liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What way lube should I use for a Mighty Comet/Advanced VMC 520?

I have Vactra #2 equivalent on hand, but not sure if thatís best.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vactra 2 is a pretty safe bet. Might dump the lube sump and clean the suction screen since your fixing stuff.

27. Likes rpseguin liked this post